Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New production rules

J_Allen

With the introduction of new production rules (2018 update to Appendix D4), can we now run 8 shot minor guns in production if they have bobbed hammers and extended cylinder releases? I was under the impression that these external

modifications used to be a no-go, but the rules now appear to be relaxed for after market parts.

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, firewood said:

Would need a production legal holster and moon clip holders?

Holster yes. There's an exemption for moon clips holders in production for revolvers. 

2 minutes ago, MWP said:

Holster yes. There's an exemption for moon clips holders in production for revolvers. 

Ahh I think you posted as I was submitting. Thank you for the info. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I just had an epiphany.

I started using the PractiScore Competitor app (note: this is not the similarly named PractiScore app) for my phone to look up results - this app is awesome. It really lets you compare results to see what stages you are dropping points on, and whether it was due to speed or a accuracy. I love it!

So why the epiphany? Really, my only complaint with the revolver division is the lack of competition locally. I started shooting my Glock in production just to have a level platform to go against some of my friends. The beauty of the PractiScore Competitor app is that not only can I compare my production results with my other friends shooting production, but there is also a function to combine divisions, so I can include buddies shooting limited. So I know we’re not “suppose” to compare across divisions due to different equipment, etc, but I like to know where I stand regardless. 

Then it hit me - if I have a production legal holster for my revolver, then my entire revolver set-up IS production legal. I CAN directly compare my results with theirs, AND at the same time, I do NOT have to register as a Production shooter. The app can combine the Revolver and Production results only. That way USPSA can see there are still revolver shooters out there, I can shoot the gear I want to, and I get the competitive feedback I crave.

So the only downside is that I have to trade off the benefits of a race holster for a kydex holster. It has to be production legal, without opening below the halfway point of the cylinder. Well, I found one that fit the bill, and realized I actually like it better than the old style Racemaster I was using. Now, the caveat is that I feel it’s because I am more comfortable really being aggressive now with the draw from the kydex, whereas I was a bit more timid with the race holster. With enough practice, I’m sure this would not be the case, so I am probably unnecessarily handicapping myself with respect to draw speed - but at my level these fractions of a second don’t matter. Maybe I’ll change my mind in the future, but for now I’ll be representing revolver division, while still competing with my friends. WIN-WIN!

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

How did this thread get Amish all of a sudden? 

I see no quilts...?

The nice thing is that revolvers are exempted from the equipment position rules of Production (appendix E3). Per Appendix D4, Line 12 – Restrictions on position of holster and other equipment:  Yes. See Appendix E3 (revolver speed loaders and moon clips are exempt)

I reload from the weak side, but boy would it suck to try and get all moonclip holders behind my hip bone.