Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rules inconsistent on magazine "holders"

RickT

PCC - pouch(es) on belt or retained in apparel

RFR - no restriction

PROD - magazine holders on belt

SS - no restriction

What's the rationale for the inconsistency?  Other than it might be one second slower to pick up a magazine off the barrel/table at the box who cares?  

Single stack has the exact same wording as Production--"NA for magazine holders" and 3.3.2 applies to everything:  "Unlike USPSA where magazine placement varies by division, in Steel Challenge magazine carriers may be placed anywhere on the belt, regardless of division."

All rimfire divisions don't mention mag pouches, probably because they assume most people don't have them.  I agree that there is inconsistency, but....it seems to me the reason for it is that the centerfire divisions all have appendices based on USPSA, while the rimfire doesn't.  As such, they just added a line in the USPSA ones ("NA for magazine holders"), forgot it on the PCC appendix, and assumed that people understood that having the magazines on a barrel or table was also ok like it is for rimfire firearms.

But I agree, the rules don't actually SAY that.

I'd think that it could be cleared up by adding a second sentence to 3.3.2 such as "all magazines may also be placed on a barrel or table for loading purposes," or using some similar wording.  Many of the videos I'm seeing from Nats right now have people loading centerfire handguns from the barrel, so obviously that is legal.  (And that's what many people have been doing all along.)

• 2 months later...