Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
gunner40sw

Shot gun distance to steel

I have a couple of 42 inch poppers and I just ordered a couple of clay bird flippers for them and I was wondering what the minimum distance is for shooting them with 7  1/2 bird shot

USPSA says 19 foot fault line. 

https://uspsa.org/viewer/RifleShotgunMultigunRules.pdf

We always try to run steel no closer then 30 ft.  Any closer and you get more and more splatter.  I've seen them shot a lot closer but I have also picked pieces of splatter out of my arms.  If the poppers stay undented with no pitting it helps a lot.

The further you place them the slower they fall and activate the clay. This is fun if you want to transition to another target between the popper shot and clay. 

Typical steel safety is 10 yards.  I don’t know if I have ever had shotshell ricochet, but I have been hit by plenty of pistol frag so I usually run those septeels a little further.

7 yds at some matches, we recommend 12 yds for our easy reset targets. Mainly because most way over choke.

I dont think I have ever gotten frag from a SG target, maybe some from those with a T base, but not many use those anymore.

I shoot steel at 7 yards regularly with 7 1/2 shot. I get less splatter off with the 12 gauge than I do with 9mm at that distance.

Like others have stated, I usually start at minimum 7 yards. I feel better at 9 or 10 but some of our bays are narrow so shots on the sides get tighter.