Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drills for getting used to red dot

DClass

I just got a new RMR (literally, it came in the mail today) and was playing with it varying my focus between the target and the dot, and I can totally see how somebody would think it’s a piece of junk if they weren’t trained on how to use it correctly.  If used properly, though, the dot is crisp and it’s a perfect 1x.  The key is to focus on the target and aim through the glass so the dot superimposes on the target.  Do that and it works perfectly.  Stare at the dot, though, and everything goes wonky. 

I found that most of the challenge is having a consistent index that allows you to draw to the dot rather that keeping the dot in recoil.

I haven’t shot Open for a while but I use this drill to develop my index with irons and will be doing it with a dot in future for sure.

Starting from the holster, with your eyes closed draw from a beep (no par time) and present the gun as if you were drawing to a target. Open your eyes. What can you see? Do this until you can present the gun at the correct height & attitude & can see the dot.

You can vary this with high/low/leaned draws etc once you get the hang of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk