Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pcc handguard recommendations taccom

47 minutes ago, mstamper said:

I am curious what one does if you want to put a laser sight on the front of the carbon fiber tube or if you want to mount BUIS? There are no pic rails so how would you take care of that issue with the Taccom tube?

Are there other manufacturers who do make a carbon fiber tube that has pic rails?

I’ve heard that it’s possible to screw a picatinny rail onto the handguard. Personally I traded my CF for a Midwest Industries lightwight handguard for this reason. Having said that, if you just want a laser and no irons then it would be possible to mount a laser on your receiver rail in front of the dot.  

1 hour ago, mstamper said:

I am curious what one does if you want to put a laser sight on the front of the carbon fiber tube or if you want to mount BUIS? There are no pic rails so how would you take care of that issue with the Taccom tube?

Are there other manufacturers who do make a carbon fiber tube that has pic rails?

I bolted a short rail section to one of my Taccom handguards with an epoxy bed. Worked fine, but you will notice a little bit of flex/zero shift. I went back to my old setup of a laser mounted on a 45 degree mount behind my CMore on my new upper with a Taccom HG, just because it was kind of a pain to set up the rail section on the old one. 

Edited by Patrick Scott
  • 2 weeks later...

Have any of you tried the Kaw Valley CF handguard?

If you watch this video it looks like they have some sort of Magpul device attached to it...  Maybe some kind of attachment for a laser?  Couldnt find any info about it on the Kaw Valley web site.

On 6/25/2018 at 10:10 AM, Patrick Scott said:

I bolted a short rail section to one of my Taccom handguards with an epoxy bed. Worked fine, but you will notice a little bit of flex/zero shift. I went back to my old setup of a laser mounted on a 45 degree mount behind my CMore on my new upper with a Taccom HG, just because it was kind of a pain to set up the rail section on the old one. 

I’m thinking about going extra cheap and seeing if I can find a front sight I can zip tie to my SC rimfire CF forearm.  I just need it to stay in place long enough to last a couple matches.  

1 hour ago, jkrispies said:

I’m thinking about going extra cheap and seeing if I can find a front sight I can zip tie to my SC rimfire CF forearm.  I just need it to stay in place long enough to last a couple matches.  

Why use a zip tie when we have duct tape in a multitude of colors.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 7:01 PM, jkrispies said:

Perhaps I will zip tie first, and then duct tape for added stability. Great idea!

That, my friend, is right out of the redneck handbook! Chapter 3, duct tape. zip ties and a beer can wrapped around your rusted out exhaust pipe!

Brings back memories, good work ! 

1 hour ago, sixsixnine said:

Badass. Never seen that before.

Faxon makes one too.

Smoke composites also has one, although the coda is smaller diameter if you like slim handguards. 

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:09 AM, mstamper said:

placed mine on the rail just in front of optic, out of the way from beating   it on walls and such

mpx.jpg

• 5 months later...
On 7/4/2018 at 3:16 PM, RaylanGivens said:

Have any of you tried the Kaw Valley CF handguard?

If you watch this video it looks like they have some sort of Magpul device attached to it...  Maybe some kind of attachment for a laser?  Couldnt find any info about it on the Kaw Valley web site.

I have their 15" handguard. I have not attached it yet. Seems quite flimsy to be honest. 4 short screws holding it in, and that's it. If I mount it I may use some green loctite like MI calls for on some of their rails.

It will replace an ALG possibly. But the ALG is just about as light and super rigid.

So, I am on the fence with it, lol. But i'll keep this updated if I do use it.

I have the 8.5" version and I'm very happy with it. It's a pretty slimlightweight & clean slick side upper. No forward assist and you don't need to use the brass deflector or ejection port cover if you choose not to, the deflector bolts on and holds the port cover pin in place. The handguard has a tab that slides into the rail of the upper reciever to prevent rotation and ensure the rail stays centered. I cannot speak for the 15" but I know my 8.5" has absolutely no flex & it has 8 screws securing it to about a 2" barrel nut that it fits fairly snug to. Nice fit & finish and has M-lok slots at 3, 6 & 9. 

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/upper-receivers/ar-15-ultra-light-monoltihic-upper-receivers-prod120144.aspx