Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to do with STI mags

quiller

I have 5 gen 2 STI 140 mm mags with standard internals and base plates. They also have a black nitride coating. Apparently the previous owner is still in his 80’s goth scene! They were part of a trade in I did. Is it worth getting better internal and base plates? I have some Strayer’s for my open, so these would be spares. Any ideas?

Edited by quiller

47 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

If they're spares, I'd leave them alone and shoot them in practice - drop them all

you want.

If you have any problems with them, then I'd think about new internals/baseplates    :) 

Thats what I was thinking when one of my Strayers sounded loke a childs rattler toys after a mag change and it filled up with gravel! So you think MBX or Grams ir a combo. Lots of threads go each way on this.

32 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Grams guts for sure. I like Bolens/TTI pads.

Great, more choices. I’m still fairly new at USPSA....but liking it. Just did a quick search for TT1. Good looking parts and like the rest of this hobby....not cheap. I’m not sure my kids will have an inheritance....but they will have a great gun collection and some sweet mags!

Edited by quiller

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

^^^^^^this.

I see a pattern forming here! Okay and not to confuse the issue any more......but. I also took in 6 MBX 140mm neutered to 10 round STI Mags which will be very handy at certain times and in certain locations! Would it make more sense to hock the black nitride STI get real 140mm tubes for the MBX's? I know its good to have extra mags, but how many is enough in the extra department.....and before you answer my old reserve commander in Ireland used to say "you can never have enough.....of a good thing", and this is clearly a good thing!

12 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

Honestly, I don't see much if any difference in the new STI tubes and MBX tubes.  I wouldn't spend any money to do it for sure.

A few other thread said this and other things.....forums are great for an abundance of opinions! One thing I noticed last night was the MBX base plates fit nicely side to side on the STI tubes but back to front they have a bunch of play. Mind you when you load up the mags the pressure from the spring stops the base plate from moving, but when empty they sound like a kids rattler toy! Kinda annoying, but doable.

1 hour ago, quiller said:

A few other thread said this and other things.....forums are great for an abundance of opinions! One thing I noticed last night was the MBX base plates fit nicely side to side on the STI tubes but back to front they have a bunch of play. Mind you when you load up the mags the pressure from the spring stops the base plate from moving, but when empty they sound like a kids rattler toy! Kinda annoying, but doable.

For my 40 cal Limited gun I have one MBX mag and 3 new style STI mags with Grams guts and TTI base pads.  They all hold 20 rounds and are perfectly reliable.,

I shot limited for 7-8 years with old style Sti mags and never had any problems with them.

I’d change springs when I thought about it. I wouldn’t spend money on new mags if I was still shooting 40.