Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do we need aftermarket guide rods in 9mm?

I slapped a conefit guide rod into my gun because the internet said the frame would get chewed up if I didn’t.

Regarded it as a required upgrade.

Then I had this talk with a rather well-known GM recently:

A37BCF49-5E60-4C4F-9982-C2F87E97DA78.thumb.jpeg.d9d0c7a07c72cd92d02763d2d948c8db.jpeg

DE53A376-4C22-4469-84D0-CAD1D7B3953B.thumb.jpeg.e3da5bb6871a76560fc10a0dab4afabe.jpeg

Food for thought.

Oh. And the gun will run great with the factory firing pin. You don’t need to replace those, either.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

My primary 9mm formed a burr on each side from the factory guide rod after just a few hundred rounds. It actually made removing the slide difficult.

Hard to imagine, but maybe some guns are softer than others.

Edited by johnbu

2 hours ago, johnbu said:

My primary 9mm formed a burr on each side from the factory guide rod after just a few hundred rounds. It actually made removing the slide difficult.

Hard to imagine, but maybe some guns are softer than others.

exactly. and guide rod is harder. 

.?

Edited by yigal

15 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Food for thought.

Oh. And the gun will run great with the factory firing pin. You don’t need to replace those, either.

I agree partially with this as long as the gun is setup correctly and your reloads are on point........ 

15 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I slapped a conefit guide rod into my gun because the internet said the frame would get chewed up if I didn’t.

Regarded it as a required upgrade.

Then I had this talk with a rather well-known GM recently:

Another perfect example of how "1 size fits all" does not work on this platform........ The damaged frames normally happen when folks go to light on their recoil spring.... seen quite a few now..... disagree with this. 

Just now, MemphisMechanic said:

In 9mm?

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for filling us in.

The majority yes sir... it was mainly when the "fad" was to run a 6lb recoil spring if my memory serves me correct. Talking with Eric Grauffel earlier in the year he seemed to feel that anything under 8lbs was to light (not sure if that's his personal taste for felt recoil or the factory was seeing damage). 

I guess I can see that. Ben Stoeger runs a 6, or used to, and a lot of guys are going to copy the world champion’s setup.

I ran a 10 at first in my Stock III, then later dropped to a 9 pounder when it broke in because those gave me a gun that tracked the best... for me.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

2 hours ago, PatriotDefense said:

The majority yes sir... it was mainly when the "fad" was to run a 6lb recoil spring if my memory serves me correct. Talking with Eric Grauffel earlier in the year he seemed to feel that anything under 8lbs was to light (not sure if that's his personal taste for felt recoil or the factory was seeing damage). 

I am buying my guns via Grauffel. His gunsmith is Sebastien, I asked about recoil springs and their formal advise: don't go under 10lbs... you will damage the gun.

6 minutes ago, Fasthenk65 said:

I am buying my guns via Grauffel. His gunsmith is Sebastien, I asked about recoil springs and their formal advise: don't go under 10lbs... you will damage the gun.

4kg or 10lbs? Sorry, bad metric joke.

I've been running a 10lb for the last two years, trying an 8lb now. I honestly don't seen much difference though. The guide rod is cheap insurance and Patriot's lightweight guide rod is an easy way to help balance the gun.

19 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Two stock 2's bought within the same year - 2 different factory firing pins - replaced both after I started getting light strikes on the first gun I bought - it appeared that the part of the pin that the hammer contacts deformed and effectively shortened with use - perhaps the other style of factory firing pin would have lasted ok. 

firing pins2.jpg

3 hours ago, PatriotDefense said:

Hmmm, wondering if I should fret and change back to more spring, running 6 lb springs in stock 2's and really like them, with loads around 130 pf the brass does not seem to be flying particularly far out of the gun. 

• 3 weeks later...