Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 9mm multiple bullet setup

Hi guys. I have a 550 that is set up for 9mm.  I reload different 9mm bullets for different purposes. I use 115, 124 and 147 grain bullets and it is a PITA to be changing the bullet seat die for different depths for different bullets. Do any one here use something like a Redding precision seating die? Any other options to the Redding? Thanks! BTW I use the Dillon dies right now.

I use the Redding die for this exact purpose.  I have a piece of tape on the powder measure that lists the bullet type with the corresponding micrometer setting.  

Ditto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I've considered purchasing the Redding seating die, but have been told that there are expected LOA variations and that is the way it is. 

I've been loading .45ACP as of late. Target LOA was 1.218", but I've seen anything from 1.213" to 1.226". The projectiles are round nose lithium moly coated lead.

Am I expecting too much?

v/r,

Jeff

The Redding micro adjustable seating die is a top notch die.  However if your looking for oal’s within a thou, forget it.  It’s all about the bullets and brass.  If you got the die because you change bullets a lot that’s where it shines.  You just record your settings and you can always go back unless you remove the die, and or take it apart for cleaning.  Depending on bullet and you will get variances of + or - .005.  Jacket bullets give the best consistency.  I can get within a thou and most are spot on.  But you have to sort by headstamp.  Go to you tube and check out this guy.  He has the best instructions on how to set it up.

Knowledge2you. You tube wouldn’t let me copy it.

Thanks, Rooster, I'll check out the youtube vid. 

I already sort all my brass (including pistol brass) by headstamp in an effort to minimize the LOA variations. 

At the last sanctioned match where my rounds were chrono'd, I had an ES of two and a standard deviation of one! Granted, it was a small sample size of three rounds, but I was quite happy getting a fist bump award for best SD!

v/r,
Jeff

Those are great numbers even for a 3 round chrono string!  I sort be head stamp and have reduced my brass to two 9mm (Federal and Starline) and I'm shooting up the last of some R-P brass until lost/split.  .40 S&W .45 ACP are down to Federal & Starline.  For local matches, I use mixed head stamp range brass.  Major matches it will always be either the Starline (1st choice) or Federal. 

For grins (and I guess bored or nothing better to do), one day I picked up 10 to 20 rounds of one caliber and both Federal and Starline brass and measured case length.  Surprised that the brass was not more uniform in length.  Jotted down the numbers to compare, but, as I remember, did not keep so can't give details.  But, there was, what seemed to me, to a larger variation in length.  I my memory isn't letting me down, I believe the spread was greater than 0.20".  Will search to ensure I didn't loose the data.  And, if so will do it again for all three calibers and post.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2018 at 1:00 PM, GeneBray said:

Those are great numbers even for a 3 round chrono string!  I sort be head stamp and have reduced my brass to two 9mm (Federal and Starline) and I'm shooting up the last of some R-P brass until lost/split.  .40 S&W .45 ACP are down to Federal & Starline.  For local matches, I use mixed head stamp range brass.  Major matches it will always be either the Starline (1st choice) or Federal. 

For .45, I've reduced the number of headstamps to around eight. I also make sure that if I see a military crimp, it goes in the give-away bucket. My friend who has a 1050 gets those since there's a built-in swager!

On 6/13/2018 at 2:13 PM, Balakay said:

I use the Redding die for this exact purpose.  I have a piece of tape on the powder measure that lists the bullet type with the corresponding micrometer setting.  

On 6/13/2018 at 6:41 PM, GeneBray said:

Ditto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too.

Plunk and rotate the different barrels you are using to find the max setting for each bullet weight. If you use the same brass all the time your OAL will have little or no variation. If you use range brass, however, then you'll need to know the maximum length by the P and R method so that your OAL won't go over your established limit.