Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So, I Broke My Arm... What's my plan for the next 6 weeks?

jkrispies

• 1 month later...

Update.  Yesterday I shot my first real Steel Challenge match since the accident.  Lots of little issues crept up, mainly from me needing to shake off the cobwebs to ammunition issues and some other stuff.  I was also shooting my RFRO for the first time in a year AND took a new chassis system out for its inaugural run.  The day was going kinda lousy until I had a breakthrough moment on the last state of the day-- on my second string of Speed Option, I experienced an out of battery case head separation (yes, with a rimfire!!!) that blew a crap ton of gas in my face from a half-open bolt.  After I cleared the gun and ran a quick mag through it to make sure everything still worked, something clicked in my brain and I shot the last three strings like I wished I'd shot the entire match.  I ended up with a Personal Record on that stage.  Woo-hoo!  ?

On 6/12/2018 at 8:37 PM, quiller said:

I broke (well shattered) my thumb on my shooting hand. I shot weak (left) handed for 5 weeks. Got fairly good! My advice is to take it easy and get off the meds first, then start practicing one handed. Not sure what you do now for exercise but start walking, if you already walk start jogging and you guessed it....if you already jog start running. Any kind of foot drill or movement will help, you have to keep moving. It took 6 months for the swelling to go down in my thumb, it will be quicker for you, apparently small body parts get really annoying when you break them. Go here if you want to read all about it. Otherwise take it easy and listen to your body.

This. Absolutely.

Practice strong hand only and do it while moving. If you can keep a steady sight picture walking strong hand only, it will be that much easier when you have two hands again. Start slow, focus on the sights and keep them straight as you move. Start going three or four steps, forward, backward, right, left, with one target. Keep the sights straight and centered on the target. And be honest with yourself, that's the only way you improve. If you are seeing the sight go out of alignment, call it a fail and start again. When you get good with it, add two more targets and transition targets as you are moving.  And keep speeding it up.

You'll be surprised at just how well you do when you have two hands again.

Meanwhile, get some large Nerf balls and squeeze them alternating fingers. Not so much to build strength, but to keep the muscles from atrophy and keep them limber. This makes it easier to get the strength back once you lose the plaster sleeve.

• 2 weeks later...

Just shot a full match in practice.  If it had been for real, I would have ended the day with a personal best on Accelerator and Speed Option, plus enough second bests to give me a best overall time to date.  I can't wait for next week's monthly match!!!

• 4 weeks later...

This will possibly be my last update for this thread.  I competed in the Area 2 Steel Challenge Championships last weekend with some interesting results. I shot my RFRO as well I could have expected even before the accident and finished 8 out of 70. In the process I actually beat more GM’s than the number who bested me.  With PCCO, unfortunately, I was 15 seconds slower than at the match I shot two days before breaking my arm and herniating the disk in my back, and that was me giving iit my best. It was still good enough for an 8th place finish but against fewer competitors than in RFRO.  This brings me to the conclusion that I’ve regained the skills and strength to handle the lightweight RFRO but I need more physical therapy to get my strength back up to par to handle the heavier PCCO.  Ultimately, though, I think the RFRO finish indicates that I’m on the right path and is a bit of a victory considering I’m only 5 months out from the accident.  Hopefully a shooter who finds himself in the hospital will read this thread and take comfort that recovery can happen with the right attitude and effort.  Best, John

8FD4B3FA-9AC7-4E79-845E-4B04B523DD98.jpeg

Edited by jkrispies