Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practice session round count

MJinPA

I normally get out for live fire twice/week and plan on about 200 rounds each day. Toward the end of my practice sessions I typically start to make some sort of breakthrough where I'm seeing/feeling things more clearly and generally have a better connection with the gun, sights, etc. So, for those of us that dont have unlimited time and ammo, do you think it makes more sense to do one session of 400 rounds or continue doing what I'm doing. More practice days vs. more rounds fired per practice day...Goes without saying that in either case I'd have a plan and structure. 

Isn't that similar to asking whether one is better off doing 25 sit-ups a day or a 175 sit-ups once a week?

I'm no expert, but my experience has been more frequent practice sessions, concentrating on just one or two drills per session, pays higher dividends than cramming a lot of work into one marathon session. When I get tired I get sloppy and hit the threshold of diminishing returns after an hour or so.

I also try for 15 minutes of dry fire a day, obviously cheaper and more convenient than live fire.

Just my 2¢.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

What changes that you start feeling that "breakthrough"? Is it just getting warmed up or switching to different drills?

In general I feel multiple practice sessions are better, but it's highly individual.  I'd rather push on if the session is going really well and skip the 2nd session. But I'd also skip meals to pay for more range time.

15 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

What changes that you start feeling that "breakthrough"? Is it just getting warmed up or switching to different drills?

In general I feel multiple practice sessions are better, but it's highly individual.  I'd rather push on if the session is going really well and skip the 2nd session. But I'd also skip meals to pay for more range time.

I guess it's a result of getting warmed up and carries over to all drills. It's things like the subtleties of noticing how grip pressure can effect where my bullet hits, getting "in the zone" and seeing my front sight lift as soon as my shot breaks. I'm still working being able to call my shots all the time but can't typically do it until I'm warmed up which is toward the end of practice. Not sure I agree with the sit up analogy above...I can easily do 25 sit ups/day but the guy that can do 175 straight through is likely in much better shape than me. I do a bit of running and sometimes the first mile or two is tough. But, after 5 or 6 it feels effortless. Normally pushing on if the session is going really well isn't an option. Because I need to schedule time to practice I only bring the amount of ammo I plan to shoot and normally have a timeframe where I need to wrap it up...

Not to be a jerk, but it sounds like you've gotta figure out what mental connection is happening at "warm-up" and recreate that early on. Is it just mental focus? Comfort behind the gun? Mental confidence you can do x, y, or z in live fire?

Not to be a jerk, but it sounds like you've gotta figure out what mental connection is happening at "warm-up" and recreate that early on. Is it just mental focus? Comfort behind the gun? Mental confidence you can do x, y, or z in live fire?

That’s pretty low on the jerk scale...especially since it’s a great point. I’m typically “working” while at the range (answering emails etc) since I’ll usually go before heading to the office or over lunch. I’m probably better served sticking with twice a week but schedule my range time so I can be completely focused while there...thanks for the advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s pretty low on the jerk scale...

I edited some stuff out... haha.

Seriously though, nix the work crap. Improvement takes a lot of metal effort. I’ve had a few complete crap show major matches due to taking calls or sending work emails or general stress because the boss was a dick about taking time off.

Either shut off the phone or go during complete off work hours.

8 hours ago, SCTaylor said:

This.  Just when you are starting to see improvement is not the time to stop!  Get those solid reps in and make it your new standard.

I stick with a 250 round session twice per week.

I feel like it gives me time to absorb the gains I made in the previous session and week.

If I could afford 500 rounds twice per week I would do it.

I am going to build a private range on some property I plan to buy next year and will see how 200 rounds a day three days a week goes with dry fire on the two "off" days. I think handling the gun more frequently will be more beneficial than if I were to do a single 600 round session.

... In general I feel multiple practice sessions are better, but it's highly individual.  I'd rather push on if the session is going really well and skip the 2nd session. But I'd also skip meals to pay for more range time.

This is great advice. There have been too many times I intended to just shoot 50 or 100 rounds but quit too soon just as I was hitting my stride.

I usually start and end each session with the 5x5 drill and the second one is always much better because I've warmed up. In a match, or especially a self defense situation, we always start cold, and that's how I work on my initial workouts, from the beginning.

My practice session is a little over 300 rds once or twice a week (depends on weather and other spare time commitments).

When possible, I practice during the hottest part of the day.  Unless I need to sight in a gun or do a check to see that everything is functioning properly, prior to firing the first shot, I try to do something that will tire me out a bit.  It may be a little range cleanup or shagging brass that some nice person left behind for me.

I have a set of drills that I do each session followed by improvised drills that work on things that I know need improvement.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m in the 200-300 rounds 2x a week camp. 

Its usually 100rd per drill.  Might go back to that initial drill at the end for 50 more rounds.   Whatever I feel cost me the most in a match.   (25yd steel, partials, getting into position)

Mine is 100 to 200 on a single goal then once I hit that break through, shoot another 200. When i practice live fire, it is usually once a month.

I spend my time practicing on one goal. This could be just head shots, shot calling, transitions between targets. This allows me to focus on just that. Then when I have that break through, shoot 200 more.

I have the ammo, but not the time to get to range more.

Also it is not always about how much live fire you do either. Listening to Matt Mink talk once said he only shot 2000 rounds a year to practice. The majority of the time he just did dry fire.

• 2 months later...

200 rounds for me is kind of an equipment test/confidence session before leaving for a match.  I agree, it's a little shy of getting in the practice groove and attaining enlightenment.  

We're all individual.  I'd suggest this.  Mix it up.  Plan a session of 200 rounds.  If you are feeling good and like what's happening, turn that day into your 400 day.  Then go back to 200 per day the next week and do the same.  See what you think of the different approach.  

I usually shoot 3-500 rounds per pracite depending on what I'm doing. Plate racks seem to eat the most ammo for me. I only get 1-2 live fire practice sessions per month so I try and plan my rounds per drill so I don't wing up hosing targets and not accomplishing anything. 

Edited by NateTSU

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Sounds like regular Dry Fire is the solution.     :) 

I totally agree with Jack!

With everything going on, I only live fire once a week or once every other week.  I do dry fire 10-15 minutes a day 5 days a week though.

I made GM in Steel Challenge in 8 months using this training method along with the steel challenge banners.  They also have USPSA stages available for dry fire training.

To answer your original question:

It's hard to put a round count on your live fire sessions.  You need to have a specific goal for your live fire sessions.  i.e. what are you trying to accomplish today? Have a plan and set a goal, then accomplish your goal.  you'll never do that saying I can only shoot "X" number of rounds today.

Yep.

You need to have a goal.

You need to be able to stay focused for the duration of the session.

Just sending a lot of lead downrange is rarely useful.

(I'm just a hobby level shooter. 100 to 200 per almost weekly session seems to get me around the middle of the pack at localish Level 2 IPSC matches in the Classic Division (sorta like USPSA Singlestack.)

I used to go often, shoot about 200 and leave. After talking to other people, specifically Elias and Ashley they told me to go to the range less often but up my round count while I'm there.

Instead of the 4 times a week shooting 200 rounds I'd be better off going 2x a week and shooting 4-500 rounds.

Why? In what I was doing they said it was a good way to stay comfortable and always "on the gun". But to learn something new and really make it my own in took significantly more reps/rounds than the 200 I was doing So now I do go less often but shoot more while there.

To go from the "Oh, oh OK now I see it." level of just understanding I was getting with only a couple hundred rounds to the level of "Oh yeah, now I'm getting/doing it." level by shooting 4 to 5 hundred.

I do not think higher round count will make a difference if you train with a goal. At the end of some of my training sessions, if I have too many rounds left, it seems that I simply want to get rid of them rather than using them. I typically shoot around 300 rounds per session. Sometimes if I discover things that are helpful, I might shoot more. Few occasions I only shot 100 rounds or so and felt that I have had enough practice.

On 9/19/2018 at 7:00 AM, rowdyb said:

I used to go often, shoot about 200 and leave. After talking to other people, specifically Elias and Ashley they told me to go to the range less often but up my round count while I'm there.

Instead of the 4 times a week shooting 200 rounds I'd be better off going 2x a week and shooting 4-500 rounds.

Why? In what I was doing they said it was a good way to stay comfortable and always "on the gun". But to learn something new and really make it my own in took significantly more reps/rounds than the 200 I was doing So now I do go less often but shoot more while there.

To go from the "Oh, oh OK now I see it." level of just understanding I was getting with only a couple hundred rounds to the level of "Oh yeah, now I'm getting/doing it." level by shooting 4 to 5 hundred.

This makes some good sense to me. I am in the 200 round practice mode right now but may try to change it up and get more reps per session.