Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No grease?

Steve-O

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember a few years ago on you tube a guy dropped the slide on an empty 1911 chamber I think it was like 100 times.  Took gun apart and no damage to sear or hammer face.  That’s the way I used to check light trigger jobs.  I would drop the slide a few times with the trigger held back and with trigger in normal position.  If the hammer didn’t follow trigger job passed.  Although I wouldn’t make a habit of doing it.  If I was troubleshooting someone’s gun I would always ask permission first before I would do it.

Got my first 1911 in 1978.  Never greased it.  Oil only.  Have several other brands of semi auto pistols, same thing, oil only.  No issues.

The old GI 1911 manuals specified dropping the slide on an empty chamber as one of the function checks after you cleaned/lubed/reassembled the pistol.

In the really old GI manuals they specify whale oil as the lubricant for the 1911.  Not sure how whale oil stacks up to 3n1 oil or Mobil 1.

On 6/12/2018 at 12:41 PM, Steve-O said:

My guns feel so much better to me when I grease them vs oil when I rack them ect. After a match the grease is still there and when I would oil them not so much. I use Slide Glide Lite and love it. I do put oil on the trigger components and grease on everything else. 

Yep. Slide Glide all the way for me.  

34 minutes ago, M1A4ME said:

Got my first 1911 in 1978.  Never greased it.  Oil only.  Have several other brands of semi auto pistols, same thing, oil only.  No issues.

The old GI 1911 manuals specified dropping the slide on an empty chamber as one of the function checks after you cleaned/lubed/reassembled the pistol.

In the really old GI manuals they specify whale oil as the lubricant for the 1911.  Not sure how whale oil stacks up to 3n1 oil or Mobil 1.

Go back a couple of post where I gave the link to cherry balmz and read their lube article and they mention whale oil used as a lube.  They give a little history of it.  

21 hours ago, B_RAD said:

I've heard grease and dirty gun creates soemthing like a lapping compound.  Might be good for a new gun if it needs a break in but could that loosen up the gun prematurely?

I use oil only in my Atlas. Runs like a champ!  

Me too.  I quit using Grease, was attracting so much dirt it felt like a lapping compound..  

2 hours ago, rooster said:

Go back a couple of post where I gave the link to cherry balmz and read their lube article and they mention whale oil used as a lube.  They give a little history of it.  

Is Cherry Balmz still in business?  I tried to order some, the site doesn't work....

Never mind.  It won't work in Windows 10, but works fine with FireFox….

Edited by BadShot

15 minutes ago, BadShot said:

Is Cherry Balmz still in business?  I tried to order some, the site doesn't work....

Don’t really know, I bought some quite along time ago.  I just referenced the site because of the articles on lubing firearms.   If it don’t work here is another site that has a light viscosity grease.  https://lubrikit.com/

This lube is the one mentioned in Grant Cunningham’s article on lubrication 101.  Midway also sells the lubriplate grease in a 12 ounce tub that’s a lifetime supply.

7 minutes ago, rooster said:

Don’t really know, I bought some quite along time ago.  I just referenced the site because of the articles on lubing firearms.   If it don’t work here is another site that has a light viscosity grease.  https://lubrikit.com/

This lube is the one mentioned in Grant Cunningham’s article on lubrication 101.  Midway also sells the lubriplate grease in a 12 ounce tub that’s a lifetime supply.

I was just on their site and I was able to add to a cart and able to pay using PayPal.  I didn’t buy any because I still have some, but it looks as though there still in business.  They have a Facebook page.  I would call first to make sure.

I have always used oil with no problems. I stopped trying different oils when I started using Gunfighter oil. To me, the adhesion of this oil on the slide alone convinced me to stick with it. If I was breaking in a Baer I would still use CLP and switch to oil after break in.

Anyone with a basic understanding of how a 1911 works will realize that dropping the slide on an empty chamber is going to cause impact on the hammer and sear contact surfaces.  Back in the day when all we had was modified factory parts, that was a big no-no as it would ruin your trigger job pretty quick.  The parts we have today are much higher quality and much stronger metals, so it's not a big deal.  But if you have a super light trigger, those contact surfaces are pretty tiny and cut at very precise angles.  So even though it probably won't hurt to do once in a while, that doesn't make it a good practice.  And I certainly wouldn't do it intentionally.  As for running the gun dry on a stage, that does happen.  But it should be a pretty rare occurrence.  If not, you need to put more effort into figuring out how you're going to shoot the stage before you start blasting away.  As for the OPs question re: grease, I've been using Mobil One for 20+ years and never had an issue in any climate or any gun.  Grease retains dirt a lot more than oil does and guns really don't need anything that thick or heavy.  Grease does fill gaps so the gun might feel tighter, smoother, and/or quieter.  But that doesn't make it run better or last longer.

not going to argue but if it runs dry you are not off the trigger before the slide closes. and from slide lock you are feeding a bullet which slows the slide down quite a bit.

anyway this was just another lube thread that I try to avoid. :)

I stopped using grease a few years ago, seemed to be collecting dirt faster than I liked.  Since switching to oil I have made a point to run the gun pretty wet to ensure it doesn't displace all the oil.  Haven't had any issues and it seems to stay cleaner, I do go through oil...

The Atlas guy is not a metalurgist.  I ran slide glide for a really long time.  For the last 6 months I have been using Lubriplate on my locking lugs and rails.  I oil other parts that need oiling.  My guns run and run.  At the end of a match or practice session there is still grease.  I dont roll my guns around in the dirt and I do a basic cleaning before every match.  

If you oil often I think oil is probably fine.  Im not the kind of person thats going to oil my gun mid match or remember to on a multi day match.  

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/05/lubrication-101/

https://lubrikit.com/

I keep seeing people telling how grease "attracts" dirt and grit.

This is false.  Grease doesn't attract anything.  Take a big wad of grease.  Put it on a piece of metal.  Now hold that metal over a pile of dirt.  Tell me how much dirt was "attracted" to the grease.

Now take a magnet and hold it over a pile of iron filings.  That's attraction.

You want/need the SFL-0 grease?  https://www.lubriplate.com/Online-Store/16-oz-tubs/SFL-0-16-oz-tub.html

Edited by ExStreetWalker

2 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

The Atlas guy is not a metalurgist.  I ran slide glide for a really long time.  For the last 6 months I have been using Lubriplate on my locking lugs and rails.  I oil other parts that need oiling.  My guns run and run.  At the end of a match or practice session there is still grease.  I dont roll my guns around in the dirt and I do a basic cleaning before every match.  

If you oil often I think oil is probably fine.  Im not the kind of person thats going to oil my gun mid match or remember to on a multi day match.  

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/05/lubrication-101/

https://lubrikit.com/

Exactly!  I posted those exactly those 2 links a few posts back.  Also the Cherry Balmz website is an in depth resource of lubrication of firearms, well worth the read.

I have been using SlideGlide Lite on my Infinity and it works great. Now, on my Edge I use Lucas Oil as slide glide makes it go almost slo-mo. I do clean my Infinity twice a week at least so I am on my second tub.

7 hours ago, motosapiens said:

in my experience, that is pretty unusual for 2011's to be set up to slide-lock. There are a few, but they seem to be in the minority.

A minority for sure, but not so few.  There are some clubs with games that require going to slide lock, and some games where slide lock saves you time.  All of my pistols are capable of slide lock.  I run MBX mags in my 2011s.  Their competition followers will not lock the slide back, even with an unmodified slide stop.  I keep a set of lock back followers on springs for when I need to change.  Takes 10 seconds per mag.

19 hours ago, ExStreetWalker said:

I keep seeing people telling how grease "attracts" dirt and grit.

This is false.  Grease doesn't attract anything.  Take a big wad of grease.  Put it on a piece of metal.  Now hold that metal over a pile of dirt.  Tell me how much dirt was "attracted" to the grease.

Now take a magnet and hold it over a pile of iron filings.  That's attraction.

You want/need the SFL-0 grease?  https://www.lubriplate.com/Online-Store/16-oz-tubs/SFL-0-16-oz-tub.html

Go back and read my comment again.  Doesn't say that grease "attracts" dirt and grit.  It says it retains it more than oil does, which is a true statement. 

2 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Go back and read my comment again.  Doesn't say that grease "attracts" dirt and grit.  It says it retains it more than oil does, which is a true statement. 

I didn't single anyone out.  But it's a common misconception that grease "attracts" dirt and grit.

Edited by ExStreetWalker