Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip slide

Fastlil1

I am using the basic thumb over thumb grip with weak hand palm in the gap and fingers wrapped around the front of my dominant hand.  No matter how hard I squeeze my non dominant hand, after two or three shots, my finger slide around the front of my dominant hand so I am basically just pressing against my fingers and the only real gun support is coming from the heal of my hand. 

Do i need to focus on tighter grip yet?  Is there a way to adjust my had to get more grip?  I can't imagine this is normal, because it changes my grip drastically from shot to shot.  Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

20180611_213029_zpsdys7xbvn.jpg

Edited by Fastlil1

Not exactly.  Jake might chime in and explain it in more technical terms, but you also rotate your thumbs towards each other.  For me, the single most important thing is good stippling on the gun, followed by adequate grip strength/technique.  Pro Grip in the warm months is a must.

I am far from an expert so take this for what it’s worth. Your support hand looks to be pretty low.  Can you get it any higher so that you can lock the wrist of your support hand?  Are you intorting with both hands?  If yes to the latter question, have tried bending you elbows a little more so you can crush the frame of the gun (I.e. apply more pressure on the sides of the gun)?

Grip tape ordered, because it can't hurt, but still the problem is my front fingers sliding against my dominant hand fingers.  One of the guys that is usually at our weekly practice matches uses grip lotion, so he will likely let me try some. 

I was thinking, when I use to do a push/pull grip, I didn't have this problem (but I also wasn't shooting compatition).  Is the grip more forward/back, or fingers pulling towards your palm? 

Edited by Fastlil1

Whilst some top shooters use the push/pull method it probably isn’t the common.

Use grip tape, use pro-grip, use whatever, just grip as hard as you can with your weak hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try some grip lotion for sure. My support hand fingers slip when I get a little sweat rolling down my hands, even with ProGrip sometimes.

Regarding grip style, see what works for you. I'm in the process of changing grip, seems to be for the better although it seems counter-intuitive to what the WWW tells everyone. 

Cocking the support hand more forward and putting the support hand forefinger on the front of the trigger guard can allow for a higher grip and puts the forefinger to work more than if  it were in the usual vice grip hold. On many pistols, the front of the guard is stippled for this purpose. Most people do not do this but Eric Greuffel and Yong Lee do. IIRC I have seen other prominent shooters as well. If one has beefy hands, this might interfere with slide movement.  Anyways, it is easy to check to see if it works for you. And, of course, grip tape.

image.png

1 hour ago, lgh said:

Cocking the support hand more forward and putting the support hand forefinger on the front of the trigger guard can allow for a higher grip and puts the forefinger to work more than if  it were in the usual vice grip hold. On many pistols, the front of the guard is stippled for this purpose. Most people do not do this but Eric Greuffel and Yong Lee do. IIRC I have seen other prominent shooters as well. If one has beefy hands, this might interfere with slide movement.  Anyways, it is easy to check to see if it works for you. And, of course, grip tape.

image.png

I was actually going to reference this video.  Glad you posted it.

I could be wrong, but it looks to me like your strong hand is making too much room for the support hand. Or like it's not behind the gun enough, to far to the right. If the gun is moving in your hand with dry hands, grip lotion isn't going to fix the problem. If you were shooting strong hand only, would your strong hand be in the same position?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I only have it as an image. Is there a video available? 

Yes, my grip is essentially the same if I shoot strong hand only.  I never thought of that, should it be different? 

I don't have a problem with my strong hand moving around (I don't think).  It is only the fingers of my weak hand.  Even the palm of my weak hand stays in the same spot.  But my fingers slide.  My weak hand fingers almost make a mini fist in front of my strong hand instead of wrapping around them. 

Btw:  I do appreciate all the comments, now I just have to get out and shoot to see what stops it. 

3 minutes ago, Fastlil1 said:

It might be on Firearms Nation or just do a search. And experiment to see what works for you. It may not be what works for the other guy. There are different ways to skin a cat. And different cats.

1 hour ago, Fastlil1 said:

Yes, my grip is essentially the same if I shoot strong hand only.  I never thought of that, should it be different? 

I don't have a problem with my strong hand moving around (I don't think).  It is only the fingers of my weak hand.  Even the palm of my weak hand stays in the same spot.  But my fingers slide.  My weak hand fingers almost make a mini fist in front of my strong hand instead of wrapping around them. 

Btw:  I do appreciate all the comments, now I just have to get out and shoot to see what stops it. 

2 hours ago, Fastlil1 said:

• 4 weeks later...

Look at where the meat of Yongs weak hand actually engages the gun itself. It is like 1/2"-3/4" higher on the gun. His thumb base is way higher and right by the slide and closer to the bore axis of the gun. Yongs thumb tip is way in front of trigger guard because he has rotated his wrist much more forward. Forward of his knuckles.

Conversely, your wrist is not rotated forward, so the meat at the base of your thumb is way down behind the mag release. Your thumb tip is way back behind trigger guard and more even with your knuckles. 

Seem you are working with a very low grip and not applying clamping force nearly as high as you can, thereby gyping yourself out of a much firmer and stronger grip.

I used to grip like that and have the exact same problems as you. It was Bob Vogels video on grip that made me aware of it and now I grip much higher and it has helped me a LOT.

I am not an expert and these are just my non-grandmaster observations, lol.

EDIT:

Take a good look where Bobs thumb knuckles (the base knuckles) are in comparison to yours (@3:06 in vid).

Edited by NoKimberDave

I'm not gonna say my grip is great, it's way higher on the gun, the gun does not move independent of my hands.

On an M&P.

bJ5IOC3.jpg?1 5vo0TRf.jpg?1

I am prone to using too much strong hand pressure, the heel of my support is all that contacts the grip, I basically crush my strong hand fingers around the grip with my support, and otherwise am just trying to press my palms together, I do have quite a lot of strong hand behind the backstrap. You might try rolling your weak hand forward a bit. Full Vogel is not good for me, might be for you. Finger on trigger guard didn't seem better or worse so I stopped.

Edited by Beef15

• 1 month later...