Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taccom mid-barrel brake?

If I remember correctly, Max Leograndis used a mid-barrel brake on a short barrel (do not remember the length) with a steel shroud to win Nationals last year.

I believe he is a fan of light bullets and hot loads (145 PF?) so results may not be that significant with lower PF loads.

No personal experience but a guy at my club recently got one for his MPX and was complaining about it being dirty and difficult to clean enough that I think he wished he’d just got the straight barrel. I shoot a regular TACCOM ULW and don’t see a need for the comp myself but that may be a personal preference. On that same note, it is timed to about 1 o’clock and as a left hander id be concerned about it cooking my forearm, especially 8” out.  Take careful note where you hold the stock and realize a shorter shooter may be putting their hand right about at 8”.  

16 hours ago, Bluedreaux said:

Specifically for an 8” barrel with an 8” shroud, would you recommend one?  

Has anyone used a similar setup?  Looking to isolate sight movement for young (smaller stature) shooters while keeping barrel weight down. 

My 11 year old runs my PCC with Taccom ULW barrel without issue.  Shooting a 135 grain bullet at 140 pf and Taccom 3 stage buffer.  I cant see the mid brake being beneficial in my opinion.  I can upload a video to Youtube and share a link if necessary.

5 minutes ago, alvinsmith75 said:

My 11 year old runs my PCC with Taccom ULW barrel without issue.  Shooting a 135 grain bullet at 140 pf and Taccom 3 stage buffer.  I cant see the mid brake being beneficial in my opinion.  I can upload a video to Youtube and share a link if necessary.

Yeah, I’m of the same mind. Maybe if you were running 9mm Major wirh some serious pressure to work the comp, then it would be worth it. Otherwise I think it’s solving a problem that doesn’t exist while simultaneously intoducing a slew of unwanted consequences.  Looks cool on the gun rack, though.