Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

thinking of shooting a 2 gun match. have a few questions

Hey guys,

one of our local clubs hosts a 2 gun match. I was thinking of signing up for the match, Mainly because a local AWESOME shooter is going to hold a clinic for one of the squads and I would like to get in on that clinic.

I have already verified that I can use my PCC as both pistol and rifle. (kinda makes things easy as far as holsters, mags and such.)

I asked what the rifle targets are set out to and was told 50 yard max. 

My first question is this: my main optic is currently set for 18 yards. Should I go and rezero my dot to 25 and hope for the best on closer targets OR leave it where it is and figure the math for the difference in POI over POA? ( I also have a crimson trace 206 green laser I could reset that out to 18 yards and my optic I could set to a farther distance)

2nd question - OR should I put another optic on my PCC on a 45 degree mount and set that for 50 yards and adjust POI for any targets between 18 and 50 yards? 

I am really confused on the best solution for using a PCC in a 2 gun match.

Looking forward to the responses.

Mark

I’d run with what you have. Your offset at point blank range with a 25 yard zero should only be like 2 inches (actual height of sight over bore). The guys with a second offset dot use it to make a tight leaning shot around a corner instead of shifting to the weak hand shoulder.

you could miss out on an opportunity to learn if you decide not to bring a pistol to the clinic, unless you are focusing on PCC exclusively  

6 minutes ago, DesertTortoise said:

I’d run with what you have. Your offset at point blank range with a 25 yard zero should only be like 2 inches (actual height of sight over bore). The guys with a second offset dot use it to make a tight leaning shot around a corner instead of shifting to the weak hand shoulder.

you could miss out on an opportunity to learn if you decide not to bring a pistol to the clinic, unless you are focusing on PCC exclusively  

I am focused on PCC exclusively right now. My only other weapon system is a Walther 45 ACP M2 12 round. I only have 2 mags for that gun giving me 24 rounds AND iron sights. The combination of shooting a match with both iron sights and an optic right now seems a bit daunting.

7 minutes ago, mstamper said:

I only have 2 mags for that gun giving me 24 rounds AND iron sights.  

Should be pretty easy to buy 3 more mags - and they'll come in handy one day   :)

I second what Memphis said - POI may not be too different at 10 -50 yards ???

Should be pretty easy to buy 3 more mags - and they'll come in handy one day   [emoji4]

I second what Memphis said - POI may not be too different at 10 -50 yards ???
Walther mags aren't cheap. 3 more mags would run me about 100+ bucks

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I have a Glock 17 which has been milled for an RMR for sale, if you really want an optic-equipped handgun. Cheap magazines too :)

Regarding your zero, I don't think there's enough of a variance in drop between an 18yd zero vs a 25 yd zero.  There shouldn't be more than a 2" shift in POI/POA anywhere within the entire 50 yd range.  Just figure out your holds and go!

2 hours ago, mstamper said:

Walther mags aren't cheap. 3 mags run $ 100+ 

All relative    :)

I shoot OPEN, and each mag costs more than $100, and I have eight of the little devils    :eatdrink:

Compared to shooting 3 matches/month, practice costs and travel costs, $100 is

NOT the end of the world     :cheers:

And, a lot of people re-use them ….

Hello: Leave it set at the 18 yard zero. So at 3 yards you put the dot on top of the head for an "A" zone head hit. At 50 yards it will be about 4" high using 124's. I am no ballistic expert but I do know where my PCC hits even out to 100 yards. I like two gun matches since it is one less gun to have all the stuff to cart around like 3-gun. It also makes for a shorter match. Thanks, Eric

2 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Leave it set at the 18 yard zero. So at 3 yards you put the dot on top of the head for an "A" zone head hit. At 50 yards it will be about 4" high using 124's.

Great advice from Eric, as usual.    ?

BUT, check out these numbers with Your Gun - shoot at 3 and 50 yards, and confirm

where YOU have to aim    :cheers:

Another vote for leaving it at 18 and checking it at 3/5, 25 and 50.  The main thing is to make sure you register and go.  Even if you dont get the hits at 50 at the match, at least you will gain valuable experience from the match and the clinic.  Worst case you get a time penalty for the misses, but the experience will be awesome.

Dont wait to sign up, at least here, our squads fill up fast.

Youll be glad once you 've completed the match...and likely hooked!

• 1 month later...

Mehh, leave your zero where it's at, re-zero at 25yds, re-zero at 50yds, it doesn't matter. As others mentioned, it's all preference. What is the closest shot you expect? What's most important is that you understand where your zero at, and what adjustments you need to make for point of aim depending on distance to target. If your closest target is 10yards, and furthest is 50yds, zeroing at 25yds sounds reasonable as the point of aim adjustment for your 10-50yd range won't be much. Regardless, pick something that works for you, understand your point of aim, and conceivably pick a zero that requires the least amount of thinking as you transition from close to far targets! Picking a mounting solution for your optic that keeps it closer to the rail (i.e. barrel) and as far back on your rail as possible always helps (simple trigonometry). 

I bore sight my gun at about 15yds, anything from 5 to 50 yds is an A zone hit every time ! ( taking into consideration no operator error)

I use a Bushnell TR25 dot, mounted on a low riser, maybe a half inch high. If your dot is mounted very high, you may have to take that into account. I never had luck with that, I prefer a good cheek weld on the stock as opposed to total heads up shooting. It seems very un fundamental to me, but some do it very well and very fast! I started out with it mounted directly to the rail, it worked well but I thought maybe a bit higher would be better. I think it is.

Besides, at 3 yards and in, who looks at sights? Point and shoot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Edited by SJMPCC022
add content