Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm cratering steel

I’ve searched for a post about This and can’t seem to find it and was wondering if anyone else had experienced it. 

My AR9 has been leaving craters/dimples in ar500 steel. I’m shooting 124gr plated bullets with 3.6 titegroup. I haven’t had a chance to chrono this ammo but I have shot my steel with no issues. 

Many insight on what’s going on?

Definitely need to see some pictures.  I have seen some slight deformation with minor loads. My open major loads do about the same. The deformation is very minor and does not concern me.

The only craters that were a minor  concern is from a 22/250 and a 338 lapua at 100 yards. Still very minor craters, probably take a 1000 or so rounds to start really messing it up. But 9mm pcc should not be doing much to quality ar500 steel!

11 minutes ago, PharmDShooter said:

The PCC and open guns were both leaving a mark in the steel. Open gun was known to be 124gr at 1400fps. 

That steel is NOT AR500.   Heck--even AR400 shouldn't dimple from pistol or PCC.    Where did the steel come from?

If a sheet of armament steel reads over 400 on a Rockwell they sell it as AR 500. Very few companies use true 500 rated steel. Most of these cheap back yard target business just cut and sell whatever the steel company sends them

I've shot hundreds of PCC rounds that are hotter than your load on my 8" AR 500 steel plates anywhere from 8 yards to 70 yards.  This includes jacketed, plated and coated bullets.  Also shot them with my open gun (125 gr MG JHP at 172 PF).

With a fresh coat of paint, they look brand new.

Are you sure you got AR500 steel?

Edit to add: We do have a butt load of non-AR500 steel to practice on at our range.  On that we limit ourselves to lead and coated bullets under 1100 fps.  Not sure what steel they are made of but with time and lots of rounds they do show some damage.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

It's probably not AR500.  I work for a steel fabrication company and shoot lots of steel.  True AR500 is good with anything I have shot at it.  (don't have my 338 Lapua yet, but you can bet when I get it I will be testing)  We do get mill certifications on all of our steel though so I know it is true AR500