Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shipping ammo to nationals

lawboy

I recently picked up on a tip of using factory ammo boxes to ship ammo in. I get them at the local range. Also, Glad Press & Seal to wrap the boxes. This saves my plastic ammo boxes from getting broken in shipment. Me trying to find a way to keep track of them at the range & get all those plastic boxes home in luggage. And the press & seal keeps the water out & boxes intact. A friend’s ammo shipment was obvious it got wet. Double tape your outside cardboard box, edges, corners. 

i haven’t shipped very many times but have had delays. The pay x dollars & it will arrive on a certain day isn’t always accurate... better give yourself a few extra days. Like whatever they say plus 3 days.

Factory Speer "Lawman" boxes work great when carrying checking ammo on the plane too.  Clueless people think you're a LEO and therefore allowed to do whatever, while people that know what's up know you're ok doing what you're doing.

That's a pretty hilarious (and a little disappointing) life hack.

Unfortunately, flights were limited so I'm stuck with the 11# limit, meaning I have to ship either way. I'll probably contact the MD soon; I'll post any info here when I do.

Ammo in carry-on ????  I was talking to a shooter who was given grief for just brass in his carry-on by the TSA.

I've stopped locking my checked in  luggage, they NEVER EVER put them back on. lazy #%$#$&

Edited by MikeyScuba

4 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

Ammo in carry-on ????  I was talking to a shooter who was given grief for just brass in his carry-on by the TSA.

I've stopped locking my checked in  luggage, they NEVER EVER put them back on. lazy #%$#$&

🤣  Yeah, checked, not carry on.... that would be bad. 

I use zip ties which have about a 20% chance of being replaced and are cheap enough to stuff a handful in an outer pocket somewhere.

BTW, USPSA just dropped Hicap Nats ammo shipping info via Practiscore to (I assume) registered competitors. I'm not a huge fan of writing "USPSA HANDGUN NATIONALS" in big letters on my boxes to reduce the risk of in-transit shenanigans, but it's what they asked for.  Be creative on your box decorating to make it easier to find as well.

is there anything in the fed ex or ups policy that says you have to ship ammo at a  hub?   if not then one can make a account and print a label and give it to a ups driver.   and if you happen to have a business account you might qualify for cheaper rates . 

If you have or can get a pickup, most of the time you're good to go.  I've heard of rare issues when a driver won't pick up so-called "hazmat" for whatever reason, but the commercial guys mostly don't care, especially those that deliver to/from gun stores (If you have a friendly one nearby, have them ship your ammo... one and done, plus they have leftover boxes with the proper ORM-D logo already on them).  

The box-and-ship strip-mall stores all seem to hate ammo shipments with a passion.

FWIW, FedEx seems tighter about it than UPS.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone been able to get in touch with the Federal rep whose email was listed in the most recent match communication (Jason Spradling - jason.spradling@vistaoutdoor.com) ?

I tried several times over the last 12 days and no reply...  Is there a different POC for this? Thanks!

2 minutes ago, nasty618 said:

Has anyone been able to get in touch with the Federal rep whose email was listed in the most recent match communication (Jason Spradling - jason.spradling@vistaoutdoor.com) ?

I tried several times over the last 12 days and no reply...  Is there a different POC for this? Thanks!

Not nationals related but for the area 5 match I tried repeatedly to get in touch with him to no avail. Jake Martens seems to be able to talk to him so maybe contact Jake?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the great info. I shipped my ammo to Frostproof using UPS. My name and USPSA NATIONALS written on ALL sides, 3 ORMD labels and wrapped in 3 different colors of duct tape. Made it so easy to find my ammo without having to dig through the entire conex container. Packed tight with styrofoam and bubble wrap. Ammo was packaged in Dillon 100rnd boxes. The packaging was in good enough shape that I could’ve used it for return shipping but instead packed the remaining ammo in my checked baggage. 

I did find a UPS Store in Lake Wales that told me I could ship through them (rather than finding a true UPS location).