Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC Firing Pins Quality Difference

Perusing through the forum brings to light that the black New Frontier firing pins (which I believe are no longer being offered) are the most prone to breakage.  I have heard that the standard colt-pattern 9mm PCC firing pins like those made by CMMG and Wilson will last longer though, they too will eventually break.  Then there are those firing pins that look different from the "standard" colt-pattern: i.e. Kaw Valley (https://www.kawvalleyprecision.com/Spare-KVP-Gen2-9mm-BCG-Firing-Pin-p/kvp-gen2-9mm-pin.htm) and Taccom (https://taccom3g.com/product/9mm-firing-pin/) but, then again, those do not seem to work with some brands of bolts.  

Is there really a difference in the quality of 9mm PCC Firing Pins or do we have to live to live with the fact that, eventually, they all end breaking?

FWIW, what I have right now is a New Frontier Modular Bolt (https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/New-Frontier-Armory-AR-9-Modular-9mm-Bolt-Carrier-p/nfa-ar9-modular-bcg.htm) (which, BTW, NFA is not currently showing on their webpage) with an aftermarket firing pin (I think it was a CMMG but I am not sure).  After a few thousand rounds, said pin finally broke.  I know I need to have a spare but, if I am going to order a couple, I might as well get the best that the current market has to offer.  So, what do you say...  In your opinion, what is the best 9mm PCC firing pin in the market right now?

On my main match PCC I've now put over 12 thousand rounds down range (Its a PSA from top to bottom) and have yet to break a firing pin.  I guess I've been lucky.  Especially since I use a Hiperfire 24C trigger.  I do not use this bolt for dry fire (have a spare bolt set aside for just that.)

But for that eventful day, I acquired Colt, CMMG and Wilson firing pins for replacements.  They all appear to be about the same.  And I've seen all recommended at one time or another.

4 minutes ago, jtrump said:

I have a few JP firing pins stashed away for when mine eventually breaks.  

JP Firing Pins seem to be made of quality materials. Nonetheless, it appears to only work with their bolt and not other brands.

I have three extra CMMG firing pins and springs in my range bag.  

I have not broken a firing pin (yet) only had a broken firing pin spring break,  I did see a video on Taccom's website about modifying their firing pin to work in other bolts.  I spoke with Tim @ Taccom and he did say that a regular firing pin will work in their bolt.  So my CMMG will work in my Taccom bolt along with my other two PSA PCC's that have PSA bolts.

13 hours ago, Les Snyder said:

I'm over 7000 on a factory Colt pin (NFA modular bolt) with the strike end rounded so the hammer strikes as close to the center as possible with one carbine, and about 2000 on another (PSA bolt) set up the same way

Where are you getting factory Colt pins? Thanks 

45 minutes ago, Patrick Scott said:

Where are you getting factory Colt pins? Thanks 

Brownell's shows them on their webpage but they are currently out of stock. 

I don't know if this is true or internet rumor but I I have read that Colt, CCMG and Wilson firing pins are all manufactured by the same company.

I don't have nearly the rounds on mine that others do.  I think I'm only around 1800 rounds.   I have a NFA modular bolt, same as you have, with the original NFA pin.    Mine isn't black, though.  It's in the white, just like the one currently listed on their site (https://www.newfrontierarmory.com/shop/spare-firing-pin-pistol-caliber/).  I bought an identical one for a spare.

Patrick... mine came from Brownells... my OEM NFA pin broke at about 400 rounds...they replaced it with a black rounded one, but I had already replaced it with the Colt pin... ordered a second Colt for the other bolt.... the NFA replacement is in my range bag

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2018 at 5:10 PM, ericskennard said:

I have a question......Where do they break?

Is it the tip or shoulder where the thick part turns into the skinny end of the pin?

The tip of my Taccom broke off.  It was promptly replaced.  The replacement appears to be heat treated of sorts and is working well.

I have 2 spares in my range bag.  Need to get some spare springs..didn't think of that.

Do you dry fire a lot Cy? If so how much? 
I do not believe the break was caused by dry fire as I seldom drop the hammer when I do. The broken firing pin was a product of live fire. I don't know exactly how many rounds fired but, if I had to guess, I would say that it was about 1,500 rounds.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk