Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Ice w/ Dawson basepad not fitting?

Steve-O

Just installed a Dawson Ice magwell with the no gap insert onto my Colt Competition .45. I bought the competition ready Wilson ETM mag with Dawson basepad and the basepad hits the magwell insert. Should I just make some clearance with a file or sandpaper or should it fit without any modification? 

Dawson makes two different basepads. One specifically for use WITH the no-gap Ice insert...these can sometimes be finicky when trying to fit and account for the various manufacturers of 1911 frames. The other type of basepad will work with any other magwell EXCEPT the no-gap insert. Without seeing the actual basepad you have, it’s hard to know which situation exists. Could you post a pic of the basepad in question?

Of course, Dawson would be the best folks to ask. 

Edited by cheers623
Extra content in reply.

I verified with Dawson a while back the the competition ready base pads only come in the gap magwell option. If you want the no-gap you have to specifically go order them on their own. I was wanting the no gap magwell, but wasn't willing to pay an extra $10 per mag to buy the base pads by themselves. 

Editing to add email:

Andrew,

No sorry you would need buy them separate no package available in no gap.

Tech Department
Dawson Precision
866-300-1911
On 1/3/2018 10:25 AM, Andrew Brummett wrote:
Looks like I found the basepads, is there any way to get the no gap basepad with this package? Otherwise you don't get the discount of buying the 2 together as the price of the 2 basepads are the same. 

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 10:16 AM, Andrew Brummett <anbrumm10@gmail.com> wrote:
Do you have a link to basepads for 45 mags that work with the no gap? I found them for 9mm, but don't see any for 45. I bought 2 of these these with the assumption they would work since they were the Dawson basepads. If I have to go with the non-no gap magwell for these to work, I will. 

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 8:48 AM, Dawson Precision <tech@dawsonprecision.com> wrote:
Andrew,

For the mags to fit you will need have no gap base pads on them or they will not insert. Or go with a standard magwell or magwell insert if you already have a DP magwell installed for the mags to work with the base pads on them now.
Tech Department
Dawson Precision
866-300-1911
On 1/2/2018 5:17 PM, Andrew Brummett wrote:
Hello, 

I am putting together a single stack gun, and looking at getting the Dawson ICE magwell. I had a few questions regarding which one to get. I am currently looking at the no gap as it is the closest to my 2011 magwell. I bought 2 of the 1911 Wilson Legendary 45 ACP 8RdDawson Competition Ready Magazine Kits. Will these fit the no gap magwell without any modification? 

I saw on the site for the no gap that it says you must use Dawson basepads, and I assume these are the ones mentioned. 

Thank you, 
Andrew
Edited by anbrumm

I called Dawson today and they are sending me a no gap basepad to make sure it works before I order more. There customer service is second to none and will be doing most of my parts ordering through them.