Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC Continental Council

BritinUSA

There’s a rumor (posted on IPSC Global Village) that at IPSC Continental Council, a discussion took place concerning some reconciliation between the divisional requirement of IPSC and USPSA and included adoption of USPSA’s magazine length rules.

In return USPSA would look to adopt 15 rounds in USPSA’s Production Division.

On 6/9/2018 at 8:11 PM, Sarge said:

I think USPSA is about to jump the shark.

Huh? I don't see anything bad with this. Production 15 I could take or leave, it will get REALLY close to Limited Minor at that point.

Here’s what VP posted on the GV

Vince Pinto 5,368 Vince Pinto

Posted yesterday at 05:56 AM
Hi guys,

I have it on reliable authority that, at the recently concluded IPSC Continental Council meeting held in France, there was discussion about more closely aligning IPSC and USPSA divisional rules. Discussions included IPSC adopting USPSA magazine length rules for Open and Standard Divisions.

Presumably, this would mean changing IPSC Open mags from 170mm to 171.25mm, and adopting 141.25mm for Standard in lieu of the box. The USPSA "concession" would be adoption of 15 rounds loaded for Production, although I expect most USPSA members will reject that proposal and would prefer to retain their existing 10 round limit.

In my opinion, it would be absurd for 105 IPSC regions to capitulate to the only region which operates its own rulebook.

Besides, the concept of "live and let live" that we've successfully adopted for the past 10 years is not broken, so why fix it? The USPSA already conducts IPSC matches within the US in full compliance with IPSC rules, and USPSA members who travel internationally to IPSC events have no problems complying with IPSC rules.

Anyway, let's see what happens but, like many other things, you heard it here first! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

Huh? I don't see anything bad with this. Production 15 I could take or leave, it will get REALLY close to Limited Minor at that point.

And two years from now we will be banned from shooting humanoid shaped targets. I.e. no metric targets or pepper poppers.

Then two years after that 9x19 will be banned because it’s a military nato round.

Then two years later we will be required to put on goofy ass carnival like events such as the recent world shotgun shoot in order to take the focus off of the guns in order to be politically correct.

USPSA FIRST!

6 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

@Sarge I can see your point but don't think we will go down that slippery slope.  

We had a guy run for USPSA president recently who supported doing away with metric targets. 

31 minutes ago, Sarge said:

We had a guy run for USPSA president recently who supported doing away with metric targets. 

Did he win? We members have a say in what happens to the Organization. 

5 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

Did he win? We members have a say in what happens to the Organization. 

No thank god he didn't. We have PCC now because of who did win. I didn't have a say in that though. :eatdrink: I guess my bottom line to the point opinion is USPSA should split from IPSC. IPSC does nothing for the rank and file USPSA member/shooter. Sure, some elitists get to go play on the world stage, at our expense no less, but those numbers are such a small fraction of the membership it's hardly worth it.

I think raising the capacity is a move away from political correctness, if anything. I'm all for it. As a limited shooter with a production rig I rarely use, I would be much more likely to shoot production more often. I'd like to see the great production shooters place higher in the overalls too. OTOH, I wonder if there are many production shooters now with 10 round mags that don't live in a 10 round state. It wouldn't be great for those guys to have to buy new mags, but I bet half of that subset would be excited to have more rounds in the gun.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

wasn't 10 rounds made for unfree states such as California?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I thought the 10 round thing was from when the whole country was was "unfree" during the Clinton assault weapon ban

3 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

Seems like it would be kind of silly here to have half the shooters in the country with a 10 round limit and the other half with a 15 round limit.

Kinda like how Limited and Open are now?

1 hour ago, Gary Stevens said:

Does anyone know how the 15 round number was decided upon?

When IPSC Production was first introduce it was proposed with 10 rounds. GA voted for the division but declined the 10 round limit. 

If my recollection is correct there was a 'mini arms race' between manufacturers to try and get more rounds into the standard length magazines.

Eventually they moved to 15 to even up the playing field as all manufacturers had magazines that held that many.

Personally, I think 15 in USPSA Production division would be fine; I would also have preferred the same number in Carry Optics as it would have been cheaper than buying new base pads/springs/followers that tripled the price of magazines.

And two years from now we will be banned from shooting humanoid shaped targets. I.e. no metric targets or pepper poppers.
 Then two years after that 9x19 will be banned because it’s a military nato round.
 Then two years later we will be required to put on goofy ass carnival like events such as the recent world shotgun shoot in order to take the focus off of the guns in order to be politically correct.
 USPSA FIRST!

The 9x19 thing isn’t an IPSC thing, it’s a country thing. As far as I know it’s only banned in a couple of countries (Italy for sure).

How about their rule prohibiting an RO from wearing a holstered gun when running a shooter? Trigger weight limit? A quick glance at their rule book and you catch a lot of little differences.

Edited by Mcfoto

2 hours ago, Matt1 said:

The 9x19 thing isn’t an IPSC thing, it’s a country thing. As far as I know it’s only banned in a couple of countries (Italy for sure).

So, local rules?