Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ P01 steel frame with rail, safety. What's the story?

lfine

Just came across one of these at LGS.  99041.  Anyone know what the story is on these? An overrun that made it to the states?  A unicorn or just a horse? Can't seem to find a definitive answer the more i look. Thanks. I was looking at a RAMI but might talk myself into this. Don't want a decocker when I'm used to decocking my Shadow.

Does it have the P01 style frame?  But have CZ 75 Compact on the slide?  They made some like that.

Or does it have the P01 style frame but say P01 on the slide?  They made some like that, too.

The ones that have CZ 75 Compact stamped on the slide do not have the grooves in the front/rear of the frame/grip.

Can't say about the ones that are stamped P01 on the slide, but still have a steel frame.  I didn't buy any of those.

The first batch (stamped CZ75 Compact on the slide) was said to be a contract over run for a foreign military or police force with 50 imported into the US and sold.  Later, it was said there were more than 50 and still later it was said that 2nd statement was false and there were really only 50 imported.

The second batch (stamped P01 on the slide) doesn't have as much known/claimed known about it or stated about them on the internet.

I bought two of the first type (CZ75 Compact on the slide) and they have, by far, the worst triggers of any CZ75 I've ever bought.  Gritty, rough, draggy, stagy, etc., etc., etc.  the hammer/sear contact areas look like it was done with a file.  Just nasty.  I installed a CGW race hammer and adjustable sear as well as a SAO trigger from CZ USA and it's one of best shooting CZ75 Compacts.  Several others on the CZ Forum bought them and many make the statements that it has become their favorite Compact.

These said P01 on the slide, metal frame, safety, and had the P01 frame, as well.

I was looking for a Rami and the LGS didn't have one but had this - which i had never seen before.  Tempting.

This is one of the P01 looking pistols with the CZ75 Compact slide stamp.

KQZROLfl.jpg

With some modifications.  The upswept beavertail is easier to see in this picture (frame comes this way, just not as easy to see in the picture of the stock pistol).  Mods are the CGW race hammer/adjustable sear, the safeties like those used in some of the full sized pistols, and the CZ straight SA trigger.  It didn't need a CGW barrel bushing.  Shoots good groups with the stock bushing/barrel.  There's a thread (or three) on the CZ Forum about what parts to use (not mine, I used it as a guide for buying parts for this one though.)

MXBpl09l.jpg?1

I had it pose with its mom and dad.  Interesting weight differences:

Shadow 2 = 2.9lbs

CZP01(steel frame) = 2.3lbs

CZ75B = 2.2lbs

Looks like the P01 inherited his dad's beavertail...

IMG_3852.jpg

Edited by lfine
pix added

• 2 months later...