Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Faster reloading?

AlecBeach

4 hours ago, GunBugBit said:

This is one place where dry fire is very helpful.  I recently shot Can You Count and knew in advance I'd be shooting it.  I dry-fired the classifier dozens of times before I shot it.

One-two-three-four-five-RELOAD-One-two-three-four-five.  That went through my head in dry fire and when shooting it for score.

Downloading wouldn't make a lot of sense because it implies you're going to shoot to empty as a way of preventing extra shots.  If you depend on that and do that, you'll burn time on the slide-drop reloads.

The stage name gives a strong clue.  COUNT.  Just count.

I was just gonna download the reload mag 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

instead of counting, i just visualize. after going through it in my head a few times, 5 shots come out automagically, without any conscious thought, allowing me to just focus on calling the shots.

I personally download a few rounds for classifiers, just to make the mags lighter and easier to seat, but I wouldn't recommend planning to run to empty. First, it's not necessary if you actually visualize (and if you don't, you are totally doing it wrong). Second, if you have something go astray, like a dud primer, or a minor malfunction, you may end up jacking out one of those rounds and now you've got either a mike or a lengthy delay. dumb.

On 7/11/2018 at 1:09 PM, GunBugBit said:

This is one place where dry fire is very helpful.  I recently shot Can You Count and knew in advance I'd be shooting it.  I dry-fired the classifier dozens of times before I shot it.

One-two-three-four-five-RELOAD-One-two-three-four-five.  That went through my head in dry fire and when shooting it for score.

Downloading wouldn't make a lot of sense because it implies you're going to shoot to empty as a way of preventing extra shots.  If you depend on that and do that, you'll burn time on the slide-drop reloads.

The stage name gives a strong clue.  COUNT.  Just count.

On "can you count", load up the first mag but reload to a mag with just four rounds in it.   First target count your shots, reload, then unload the second mag.

Next time you are at the range, count out five shots and check the timer.  Then load up just five rounds and fire those into the target.  Which is faster?     Go with the method that is faster.

On 7/11/2018 at 2:34 PM, APOModern said:

They make great stuff and you can get it more or less cutom made/tailored to your style and needs.  They are durable so I use it for range as well as force on force airsoft training too and I love it.

Still, gear doesn't make the shooter, it may just help you with ease of reps though

I went to training recently and they said I didn't need training because i'm already good with the trigger and pulling it out of my holster

On 7/13/2018 at 10:01 AM, Flatland Shooter said:

On "can you count", load up the first mag but reload to a mag with just four rounds in it.   First target count your shots, reload, then unload the second mag.

Next time you are at the range, count out five shots and check the timer.  Then load up just five rounds and fire those into the target.  Which is faster?     Go with the method that is faster.

Unless I’m missing something here, I tend to think the times would be similar with no big savings either way.   There will be slight variations in times for draws, transitions, and splits.  Which of these are you thinking would be consistently reduced by using a downloaded mag?

I don’t think counting slows me down on a stage like that.  I can count to five while pulling the trigger at my max controllable speed, can’t most of us?

On 7/15/2018 at 1:58 PM, AlecBeach said:

I went to training recently and they said I didn't need training because i'm already good with the trigger and pulling it out of my holster

Hmm, imo, you can never not need training.  I'd keep at it to stay sharp, but have you considered doing using tools like Airsoft replicas or paintball for force on force/training under physical stress?  I'd say that'd be a good way to gauge how you are beyond a presumably flat range.  Also, some of this replica stuff can actually be pretty handy for practicing reloads as the weights and feels are similar, but less expensive and you can use them in your backyard even.

30 minutes ago, APOModern said:

Hmm, imo, you can never not need training.  I'd keep at it to stay sharp, but have you considered doing using tools like Airsoft replicas or paintball for force on force/training under physical stress?  I'd say that'd be a good way to gauge how you are beyond a presumably flat range.  Also, some of this replica stuff can actually be pretty handy for practicing reloads as the weights and feels are similar, but less expensive and you can use them in your backyard even.

I played airsoft before. I have a replica P226 (Because I couldn't help myself) and it feels like my real thing. 

2 hours ago, AlecBeach said:

I played airsoft before. I have a replica P226 (Because I couldn't help myself) and it feels like my real thing. 

Ah, so you're familiar.  Well maybe invest some time into it for real world application.  They make for good training tools that you can make mistakes with since there's no deadly ammunition in it.  I know they have some that are 1:1 scale too

Found a link for the replica Airsoft Glock Pistol i got for cross training

Edited by APOModern

practise practise practise. I started getting my reloads down to around a second or less when i started dryfiring practising everynight and threw in lots of reloads. i also use mags that have dummy rounds in them since i dont ever drop a mag that is actually empty.

Repetition in dryfire is what I have found to help more than anything. Getting used to your hands moving fast so that match speed, fast is not all of a sudden a new thing. Working against unrealistic time standards given my current skill just as an emphasis to move fast. And maintaining a strong visual index on the magwell.

• 2 weeks later...

A very helpful tip I got for assuming the "correct" index for the pistol location during the reload, is to raise the pistol in such a way that you can look at the target through the trigger guard of the pistol. This forces you to lift the gun high enough and tilt it to the correct angle. Was very helpful to me, got my Glock reloads instantly a lot more consistent.

• 1 month later...

I found two parts to be crucial in a fast reload. one is to make sure you can consistently drop the mag. Next is to consciously speed up your support hand movement. Do not hesitate to get the mag out from the pouch. This is only the reload part, getting a good grip after reload is even more important though.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 7/25/2018 at 9:11 PM, Nalle2491 said:

practise practise practise. I started getting my reloads down to around a second or less when i started dryfiring practising everynight and threw in lots of reloads. i also use mags that have dummy rounds in them since i dont ever drop a mag that is actually empty.

I agree with you, but I think the skill of hand need also.
Thanks

I currently run a Glock 34 Gen4 in Production so I get to reload a lot without a funnel,....

Establish a par time then start lowering it by .10 until it gets "comfortable" then lower another .10 

that puts the emphasis on speed in small bites, easily doable in Dry Fire practice,.. maybe even split it up into,drawing the mag by "bouncing" to not lag on the mag in the pouch, a Burkett drill to fine tune before and whatever you would call reacquiring grip/ sights etc. after then run them together,..

lots of ways to skin this cat and find pockets of hand speed while reinforcing consistent economical motion. 

Edited by Amerflyer48

• 1 year later...

A couple 'gold' standards are Ben Stoeger and Mason Lane; Lane is extremely impressive in that he swipes the mag and seats it in one fluid motion with no apparent change in speed of his hand at any point in the reload.  I think the biggest point of performance where most shooters can take a little time off is the initial entry of the mag in the magwell; how much do you slow down, are you orienting the gun so you can see the outside edge of the magwell, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to hijack this thread but I've always struggled with mag changes on my Ruger Mark 3.  I know you can't shoot 22lr in USPSA but in local speed steel and bowling pin matches I always flounder trying to hit that skinny mag well. Flipping the gun  almost upside down so you have a better look at the magwell seems to help.  Any secrets/ideas you'd like to share.