Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Faster reloading?

AlecBeach

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/12/2018 at 1:28 PM, HalRex said:

I'm not as experienced as many who have already posted here but one thing that helped me to keep from fumbling at insertion is to keep the pistol high - right in front of your face.

When I use a pistol at hip level my reloads are usually Fumbly. 

Magpul mags for a Glock? I don't own a Glock so I can't speak on that. I would think any mag with a good basepad on it would be fine

Would you say MagPuls are actually easier for reloading? Or is it just a rubber deadweight 

1 hour ago, AlecBeach said:

Would you say MagPuls are actually easier for reloading? Or is it just a rubber deadweight 

For Glock pistols I would think they are easier/faster but have no experience with that.

For PCC using Magpul Glock style magazines for reloads is a big time improvement over stock Glock mags.  Unless we really mess up on a stage, we don't see many reloads in a match.  However,, many classifiers have mandatory reloads.  For those, a 21 rd Magpul with the stock basepad is the way to go.  The Magpul magazine tube is made of a hard slick plastic where the Glock magazine tube has a bit of texture.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I don't think different mags have such a big effect on reloading speed. It is all about what you do. Hand to the new mag, cant the gun so you see into the magwell, point mag into the magwell with your index finger.

33 minutes ago, perttime said:

I don't think different mags have such a big effect on reloading speed. It is all about what you do. Hand to the new mag, cant the gun so you see into the magwell, point mag into the magwell with your index finger.

I agree with you that the fundamentals need to be there, but using weighted mags will simulate real mag changes. The moves are the same with loaded mags and empty mags, but the feeling with weighted mags is entirely different.

Agreed on weight for dry practice.

I would definitely NOT want to add weight to a full mag. The ammunition weighs quite enough.

On mags in general, consensus in many areas seems to be that Glock magazines are troublefree. Some other brands have sometimes had reliability issues.

Practice with some dry fire drills and go really slow or film yourself so you can see/feel where you are gripping and access if it needs to be adjusted.  When it feels fluid enough, go to live fire drills or speed up.  Also make sure whatever system you are using to retain your mags is in an ergonomically friendly position.  Nothing like reaching for a mag and missing it all together. 

6 hours ago, perttime said:

Agreed on weight for dry practice.

I would definitely NOT want to add weight to a full mag. The ammunition weighs quite enough.

On mags in general, consensus in many areas seems to be that Glock magazines are troublefree. Some other brands have sometimes had reliability issues.

So far the Magpul magazines (21 rd 9mm) have also been trouble free.   

I believe it was Aircooled6racer that recommended the Magpul mags. (many thanks.)   In both dry fire and live fire with the timer, I've proven to myself that the Magpul mags are faster and load easier than the Glock mags.

8 hours ago, stick said:

I agree with you that the fundamentals need to be there, but using weighted mags will simulate real mag changes. The moves are the same with loaded mags and empty mags, but the feeling with weighted mags is entirely different.

I try to practice what I will do in matches.  Doing otherwise has bit me on the butt to often to ignore.

I probably need to practice reloading with a big stick more than I do but since it is extremely rare to need a reload in a field course, I do not spend much time on it.

However, classifiers are a different story.  Maybe half the classifiers I've shot included mandatory reloads.  With the change in HHFs, we may see that number increase.  Depends on the MD.

So since I'm practicing reloads for classifiers, I load my magazines accordingly. 

Say I'm dry fire practicing for "Can You Count" (very fast Virginia Count stage with 5 rds on a close metric target, mandatory reload and 5 rds on another close metric target), I will practice with only a five or six rds in the magazine.  On the actual classifier, my first mag will have 8+ rds in it (nice and light but heavy enough that it falls quickly) and the second mag will have only 4 rds in it.  On the signal, I fire (and must count) five shots to the "A" on the first target.  Then reload the 4 rd magazine and with one round in the chamber, I have 5 rounds in the gun to unload into the second target.  No need to count out 5 shots and for me a bit faster.

Look at the classifiers you expect to shoot over the next couple of months and load your practice magazines like it the real thing.

Just my thoughts FWIW.

8 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

I try to practice what I will do in matches.  Doing otherwise has bit me on the butt to often to ignore.

I probably need to practice reloading with a big stick more than I do but since it is extremely rare to need a reload in a field course, I do not spend much time on it.

However, classifiers are a different story.  Maybe half the classifiers I've shot included mandatory reloads.  With the change in HHFs, we may see that number increase.  Depends on the MD.

So since I'm practicing reloads for classifiers, I load my magazines accordingly. 

Say I'm dry fire practicing for "Can You Count" (very fast Virginia Count stage with 5 rds on a close metric target, mandatory reload and 5 rds on another close metric target), I will practice with only a five or six rds in the magazine.  On the actual classifier, my first mag will have 8+ rds in it (nice and light but heavy enough that it falls quickly) and the second mag will have only 4 rds in it.  On the signal, I fire (and must count) five shots to the "A" on the first target.  Then reload the 4 rd magazine and with one round in the chamber, I have 5 rounds in the gun to unload into the second target.  No need to count out 5 shots and for me a bit faster.

Look at the classifiers you expect to shoot over the next couple of months and load your practice magazines like it the real thing.

Just my thoughts FWIW.

So you can download mags for classifers? I shot "can you count" very very slowly counting lol and they told me i couldn't have downloaded them before I shot...  

1 minute ago, andrewt556 said:

So you can download mags for classifers? I shot "can you count" very very slowly counting lol and they told me i couldn't have downloaded them before I shot...  

If it was a USPSA match, they told you wrong.  Was this Saturday?

On 7/1/2018 at 10:18 AM, APOModern said:

Practice with some dry fire drills and go really slow or film yourself so you can see/feel where you are gripping and access if it needs to be adjusted.  When it feels fluid enough, go to live fire drills or speed up.  Also make sure whatever system you are using to retain your mags is in an ergonomically friendly position.  Nothing like reaching for a mag and missing it all together. 

I practice using a holster with a built in extra mag pouch. Hard to reach for the thigh holsters but much easier with the molle ones on your chest or somewhere else. But then again most people don't go around wearing tac vests. Might practice more with holsters with my P226 or Glock17

6 hours ago, AlecBeach said:

I practice using a holster with a built in extra mag pouch. Hard to reach for the thigh holsters but much easier with the molle ones on your chest or somewhere else. But then again most people don't go around wearing tac vests. Might practice more with holsters with my P226 or Glock17

I'd highly recommend getting a belt setup with hoslter and pouches seperated for comfort.  I love my g-code belts for range time

16 hours ago, APOModern said:

I'd highly recommend getting a belt setup with hoslter and pouches seperated for comfort.  I love my g-code belts for range time

I might actually look into a G-Code belt for the future. I've used normal belts for my revolver holster and that works well enough!

There are couple great reload drills out there. Pick one and get to work as many have already said.  After having the willingness to actually put in the work I have found a lot of benifit in how I use my eyes to see to the mag and using a solid index point. 

Besides practice make sure your technique is solid.  Your magazine hand's forefinger should index near the tip of the magazine and now low.  Your gun's magwell needs to angle toward the area that magazines are coming from.

On 7/1/2018 at 10:27 PM, andrewt556 said:

Yup it was area 59 down in Rosenberg.

Well, "they" was wrong. There is no minimum mag capacity, just maximum for specific divisions.

Shoot me a PM if you know who it was, I shoot down there regularly and would like to speak with them.

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:30 PM, andrewt556 said:

This is one place where dry fire is very helpful.  I recently shot Can You Count and knew in advance I'd be shooting it.  I dry-fired the classifier dozens of times before I shot it.

One-two-three-four-five-RELOAD-One-two-three-four-five.  That went through my head in dry fire and when shooting it for score.

Downloading wouldn't make a lot of sense because it implies you're going to shoot to empty as a way of preventing extra shots.  If you depend on that and do that, you'll burn time on the slide-drop reloads.

The stage name gives a strong clue.  COUNT.  Just count.

On 7/8/2018 at 9:41 AM, AlecBeach said:

I might actually look into a G-Code belt for the future. I've used normal belts for my revolver holster and that works well enough!

They make great stuff and you can get it more or less cutom made/tailored to your style and needs.  They are durable so I use it for range as well as force on force airsoft training too and I love it.

Still, gear doesn't make the shooter, it may just help you with ease of reps though

Edited by APOModern