Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Faster reloading?

AlecBeach

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My best reloads come when I get my hand to the mag in the pouch very quickly. Then other factors for consistency include getting index finger running along magazine and looking at a specific part of inside of magwell

Initially, get the reloading basics down.  If you use a timer. use it only for a start "beep".  Do not factor time into the equation.  You are going for perfect movement and developing muscle memory. At the beep, drop a mag with your strong hand and retrieve a new mag with your weak hand.  Painfully slow is OK as long as the technique is good.  Straight to the magazine and back to the gun.

Once you have technique mastered (is that even possible???)  its time to build some speed.  Practice with a timer and still no Par time.  At the beep, drop your hand to the magazine and bring it up to the magwell on your gun.  Do not insert it.  Just make sure its properly aligned. 

Then repeat it only faster.  Rinse and repeat.  You will be surprised how much faster you can retrieve that magazine once that is the only thing you are trying to do and you really push it.

After a few dozen reps,  set the Par time for something like 0.6 seconds.  Keep practicing it until you can beat the timer. Hand from the gun to the magazine and back.

Later add inserting and seating the magazine in the gun.  Just be sure to keep that movement smooth and consistent from the gun to your belt and back moving as fast as possible.

Just a humble suggestion.

Getting the weak hand off the gun and already presenting a fresh magazine to the magwell in around .5

Watch video of yourself reloading. Then watch Alex Gutt or Max Michel or any truly top level shooter’s weak hand moving on Youtube.

You’ll see what I mean.

Just like the draw, the key is *really* fast hands.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

3 hours ago, uewpew said:

lol...perfect.

It really is that simple. There is not secret sauce. A fast reload is getting your hand moving fast. Indexing the mag and getting it into the mag well and the gun back on target. That comes from practice. 

There are guys that reload right and their face and down low at chest height, and they have fast reloads. Practice practice and practice and any one can get under a second.

On 6/10/2018 at 8:20 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

Initially, get the reloading basics down.  If you use a timer. use it only for a start "beep".  Do not factor time into the equation.  You are going for perfect movement and developing muscle memory. At the beep, drop a mag with your strong hand and retrieve a new mag with your weak hand.  Painfully slow is OK as long as the technique is good.  Straight to the magazine and back to the gun.

Once you have technique mastered (is that even possible???)  its time to build some speed.  Practice with a timer and still no Par time.  At the beep, drop your hand to the magazine and bring it up to the magwell on your gun.  Do not insert it.  Just make sure its properly aligned. 

Then repeat it only faster.  Rinse and repeat.  You will be surprised how much faster you can retrieve that magazine once that is the only thing you are trying to do and you really push it.

After a few dozen reps,  set the Par time for something like 0.6 seconds.  Keep practicing it until you can beat the timer. Hand from the gun to the magazine and back.

Later add inserting and seating the magazine in the gun.  Just be sure to keep that movement smooth and consistent from the gun to your belt and back moving as fast as possible.

Just a humble suggestion.

This is exactly the way I would have said it. After getting it down I still set my par time at 1 sec and shoot for that. The way I look at it is that most of the time during a stage my reloads will be done when I am moving several steps so they won't be consuming time. Classifiers are a different story as most of them are stand and shoot with a reload on some. 

I'm not as experienced as many who have already posted here but one thing that helped me to keep from fumbling at insertion is to keep the pistol high - right in front of your face.

2 hours ago, HalRex said:

I'm not as experienced as many who have already posted here but one thing that helped me to keep from fumbling at insertion is to keep the pistol high - right in front of your face.

Unless you shoot production. A lot of the guys competitive at the ational level reload in tight and down in front of the chest.

Without a magwell, it’s a viable option for someone moving while they load.

Watch videos of Hwansik Kim and Ben Stoeger on youtube for examples.

30 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Unless you shoot production. A lot of the guys competitive at the ational level reload in tight and down in front of the chest.

Without a magwell, it’s a viable option for someone moving while they load.

Watch videos of Hwansik Kim and Ben Stoeger on youtube for examples.

Agreed. Specifically I found that keeping the weak arm elbow tight to the side of my body at mag insertion greatly increased my consistency when I shot production, which puts the gun right around chest height. I used to reload very high in front of my face in open but I've found the gun to be migrating downwards over the years. It's a balancing act between the more consistent arm position of the chest high gun position and the better view angle of the face high gun position.

I find that if I practice every night or every night for a few minutes, it is much better than practicing the night before a match for a long time.  I also find that if I try to get my weak hand to the magazine as quickly as possible, then the reload is faster. 

My routine is like this:

20 reps from shooting position to grabbing the magazine and lining up the magwell

20 reps from magazine lined up to magwell to inserted and reestablishing my grip and reacquiring my sight picture

20 reps complete reload

Each rep has to be perfect or it doesn't count.  When I first started I had a loooonng par time.  I have worked it down to be pretty quick.  I still have some nights where I swear it takes 100 of each to get 20 good reps, but those nights are becoming fewer and farther between

I had started a thread on this and suggestions on that thread helped me cut another .30 seconds out of my reloads. (From 1.5 to 1.2 for standing reloads). I am at 0.8 seconds to the magwell now on a regular basis. My training regimen is 6 minutes a day, par time to the magwell then at the second beep finish the reload, reacquire grip and push to target. 6 minutes a day, start reload at the beep while taking three steps to the right/left and bring the gun to the target (simulating going one port to the other while reloading). On the movement drill the goal is to finish the reload within a step and a half so I can bring the gun up on the target by the time I am at the second position.

I'll tell you what I've found to be important as I've improved my reloads.

1.  Getting a correct (and repeatable) grip on the fresh mag.  This is like drawing the gun where it has to be the same every time.  Repeatability leads to consistency.  I really analyzed what it should feel like to grab the new mag and that process actually led me to modify my pouches by removing material on the rear portion of my pouches, so I could get more fingers on the magazine on my grab.  May be something for you to consider.  

2.  Canting the gun so that the magwell is pointed at the fresh mags on the belt.  This goes hand-in-hand with how you choose to position the gun for a reload.  I am one of those guys who drops the gun pretty low, approximately to my thoracic diaphragm level, to be overly specific.  I also bring it in fairly close to my body.  I see a lot of guys trailing the gun or the gun trailing them as they reload while moving, and this helps that problem.  My gun will always be in front of my body when I load; this also often shields the gun from the prying eyes of the RO.

3.  Raw hand speed.  This is the last step and what really shaves the tenths off your reloads.  This is pure repetition and super high awareness of your kinesthetic movements. 

It's all simple stuff, but it's not easy to put it all together in correct sequence and fluidly.  The stream-of-consciousness version goes like this.  Fired last shot - press mag release - keep the gun plumb for just a moment so the mag drops - cant the gun toward pouch - bring the gun down and toward you - sweep hand across pouches to next available mag - feel your hand + fingers wrap around the fresh mag - rip it up and out - fix your eyes on the inside of magwell - see your hand and mag come into view in peripheral - make any adjustment necessary in trajectory - see the mag insert about a third of the way in - confirm it's a good insertion - feel the mag seat solidly - shift your vision to next task - reaquire firing grip.  

I guess that could be advantageous if you're close to 180 when reloading. Though I would probably just be sure you're not going to break it during walkthrough. The RO with the tablet should be watching the shooter also. And ideally helping cover any spots the Timer RO can't see.

Why would I do that???

If I were to practice w/ the thought of covering up possible safety violations there must be something wrong w/ the technique Im practicing. Also I dont think ROs are that clueless to the shooters’ habits regarding safety. Im not gonna risk safety concerns w/ my ability to hide it. No matter how it goes, its still unsafe w/ fatal possibilities. 

8 hours ago, DKnoch said:

I guess that could be advantageous if you're close to 180 when reloading. Though I would probably just be sure you're not going to break it during walkthrough. The RO with the tablet should be watching the shooter also. And ideally helping cover any spots the Timer RO can't see.

6 hours ago, wtturn said:

Why would you not?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, BoyGlock said:

If I were to practice w/ the thought of covering up possible safety violations there must be something wrong w/ the technique Im practicing. Also I dont think ROs are that clueless to the shooters’ habits regarding safety. Im not gonna risk safety concerns w/ my ability to hide it. No matter how it goes, its still unsafe w/ fatal possibilities. 

Who said anything about hiding unsafe actions or rules violations?

ROs make bad calls sometimes.  If you can mitigate that possibility, why wouldn't you?

If you want to discuss further, start your own thread or take it to PM.  This has been derailed enough already.

39 minutes ago, wtturn said:

If you want to discuss further, start your own thread or take it to PM.  This has been derailed enough already.

Wow! Didnt know you own this place or rather you think so. 

I see you already broke 180 here and failed to cover it. 

Eta. Even the respectable owner of this forum would not say that. Sorry Brian for dragging you into this. 

Edited by BoyGlock

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2018 at 12:31 PM, DKnoch said:

My best reloads come when I get my hand to the mag in the pouch very quickly. Then other factors for consistency include getting index finger running along magazine and looking at a specific part of inside of magwell

Would you say MagPuls are actually easier for reloading? Or is it just a rubber deadweight