Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
PaulWarren

Registering a 'Club' Kindle Fire with Amazon

Our club is considering purchasing some Kindle Fire tablets for scoring our Steel Challenge matches (we're currently using volunteers' phones).  The Kindle must be registered with an Amazon account during startup.  I'm interested in what other clubs are doing with respect to this.  Do you create a 'club' Amazon account?  Or are your Kindles registered with a volunteer's account?  Do you worry about the possibility of someone making purchases or changing account settings from the tablet?  Are there techniques that can be used to limit these possibilities?

Most of ours are registered with my name.  You need the amazon password to purchase anything.  You can always create a throwaway Amazon account as well. Probably smarter. 

I just took possession of (8) Fire 7 that we picked up on Prime Day.  I had already created a club Gmail account a couple of years ago to use as the central address for match or scoring questions so I used that address to create an Amazon account.  I did not setup any kind of payment info associated with the account which created a problem when I tried to install Practiscore on the tablets (even though it's free).  The solution to this was to login to Amazon's website from my PC using the club uspsa account and then push the app to each device from there.  It's actually a pretty slick setup.  Not having any payment info associated with the account will help keep people from installing stuff but I may explore using a "child account" for these to further lock them down.

Creating a club USPSA program gmail account has the side benefit of getting you 15GB of google drive space that you can use to store stage diagrams, expense reports, etc.  You can allow the other folks from the program that help run the matches to contribute to the drive as well.

Peter

Stats Geek for the Hopkinton Heavy Hitters

When I took over I set up a club Gmail and used the for amazon and PS.

Didn't have any problems setting ours up with no payment listed. 

On 7/31/2018 at 6:38 PM, hitman said:

Didn't have any problems setting ours up with no payment listed. 

Interesting.  Did you use the install from the Amazon App Store?  I searched there, found the app, and told it to install.  Some dialogue popped up telling me I can’t do 1 click installs without payment info on the account 

Yep, ours are 8s though.

Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.