Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Did pre-safety-upgrade P320 X5's hang up out of battery?

MoRivera

Reason why I ask this is that I ran across this thread.......

And I recently got an X5 and noticed a lot of hangup out of battery as others have also discussed.   I wondered if it had to do with the recoil spring so I left my gun with slide locked back overnight, and things had improved a lot,  no more hanging or grinding. So naturally I thought that the recoil spring had broken in/set a bit.  But then I saw the thread posted above, and it brought up something that makes me think it may be the culprit.  One of the spaces for unscrewing the optics cover plate is in path of the disconnector on safety-upgraded models.......

21E2D8F4-C52F-403B-BBFD-A8DD4DA83D5A.jpe

.....and that's right around where the disconnector 'head' would be when the slide is about 1/4" out of battery......right where its hangs up when new for a lot of folks.  Maybe that's what's causing the hangup, and instead of the recoil spring, maybe the disconnector lifter spring is what breaks in a bit and eventually alleviates this.

Makes sense that if you leave the gun with slide locked back for a while, it will be compressing that disconnector head down, and that's what works in and eases up rather than the larger recoil spring.

Wondering if those who have had pre-safety-upgreade models were experiencing hangup out of battery, as that would essentially 'remove' this as a culprit.

But again, just letting the gun sit with slide locked back overnight for two nights has pretty much eliminated the hangups.

Edited by MoRivera