Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

High number of Failure to Fires with reloaded ammo using VVN340

MsDV8

26 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

You evidently have no problem allowing enough time to totally dry, obviously not everyone has been able to do that.

Replacing time (drying) with time, effort and inconvenience (decapping prior to tumbling) isn't that great a solution. Even if the weather isn't being cooperative she can always bake them for a while on an old cookie sheet.

Edited by 4n2t0

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, 4n2t0 said:

Replacing time (drying) with time, effort and inconvenience (decapping prior to tumbling) isn't that great a solution. Even if the weather isn't being cooperative she can always bake them for a while on an old cookie sheet.

Yup, this was an isolated case of a total brain fart.  I had left some decapped brass (that had recently been washed) close to my working area instead of storing it for future use, I used it too soon.  Will not happen again, lol!  I have no shortage of brass so there was no reason to use it, it was a short cut because it was there.  Short cuts get you almost every time.

2 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

The other gain by depriming prior to wet tumbling is that it enables you to have spotless primer pockets.  (assuming you use the pins)

Yes, very clean brass through and through.

My cleaning methods have slowly evolved through the years, pretty much always in the interest of time (I'd rather shoot than handload). I went through dry vibration, ultrasonic, small wet tumbler with pins, large wet tumbler (cement mixer) with pins, and finally large wet tumbler without pins. I never understood the reason for clean primer pockets in a pistol so I've always let the press remove the primer and the next station put a new one in. I do ~ 3000 cases in a batch, and after an hour of cleaning, they're rinsed a number of times and then laid out on a big flat topped cart I have in the shop. The shop is heated and the brass will dry in a few days in the summer, a week or so in the winter, but I leave them for 2 weeks regardless of season, then I lube them with Dillon case lube, let that dry for a couple more days and then pour them into a bin next to my press. I like to keep a stock of about 1000 rounds and then load what I need for upcoming matches the week before the match. (plus practice ammo) The 1K stock is insurance against press breakage or family business that eats up my time. This didn't happen all at once, I went through a bunch of trial and error but think I'm done experimenting for a while. I only load for one caliber, and use the same amount of powder and bullet (unless the chrono tells me  I'm getting too close to minimum PF, then I adjust a bit).

I and a friend were selling brass during the shortage a while back and it seemed to be most popular to deprime and pin it.  I just got into that habit and have never stopped.  Agree that it probably doesn't make any difference how the round fires but it makes it a lot easier to inspect the brass totally.  Everyone should do whatever suits their fancy, as long as the finished product is safe and functions as desired.

3 hours ago, Steve RA said:

I and a friend were selling brass during the shortage a while back and it seemed to be most popular to deprime and pin it.  I just got into that habit and have never stopped.  Agree that it probably doesn't make any difference how the round fires but it makes it a lot easier to inspect the brass totally.  Everyone should do whatever suits their fancy, as long as the finished product is safe and functions as desired.

Agreed!