Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Magazine Release Bevel Production Legal?

Outofammo

Hello everyone. I am new to USPSA but have shot IDPA as well as various other local competitive shooting events for the past few years. I also have prior law enforcement experience. I am trying to make sense out of the recently effective (May 2018) USPSA Production Division rules. I have done some quite extensive research in an attempt to locate a definitive answer but have been unsuccessful so far. I am thinking this is possibly because the changes to the Production Division occurred so recently. My question would be is a magazine release bevel or relief legal in the Production Division?

21.4 Reads as follows:  Grip modifications such as, but not limited to, undercutting/smoothing the trigger guard, adding or

removing finger grooves, or adding stippling, grip tape, or checkering are allowed. Replacement grip panels are allowed

provided they do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a make-shift magwell.

Revolver grips may be replaced with OEM or aftermarket grips of any shape, profile and surface texture.

Special Notes/Clarifications: See 22.2, below, for specifics with regard to modifications on revolver grips.

22.2 Reads as follows: Grips Non-OFM Grip modifications (addition or removal of material) that provide function such as a beavertail or

thumb rest are prohibited. Revolver grips may be replaced with OFM or aftermarket grips of any shape, profile, and texture.

Adding or removing material to change the profile of Revolver grips is specifically allowed.

Common sense would tell me that it would be allowed as 21.4 states "such as, but not limited to" and a magazine release bevel is along the same lines as undercutting/smoothing the trigger guard, modifying finger grooves, etc.

22.2 mentions that thumb rests and beavertails are strictly prohibited. Again, common sense would tell a person that adding a beavertail or a thumb rest is in another classification of modification as opposed to the modifications mentioned in 21.4.

Seeing how it appears that a magazine release bevel is more closely aligned with 21.4 as opposed to 22.2, would this modification be legal?

Also, I want to confirm that my interpretation of the rules is correct for forward "accelerator" cuts on Glocks. My understanding is stippling or texture on the pad that is forward and above a Glock frame's trigger guard is legal in the production division (area where many Glock shooters rest their support hand thumb on the frame). However, a reduction of material to create a thumb rest or "accelerator" cut on the thumb pad seems to be a grey area for production?

Thank you everyone for the assistance. I promise I did my best to research before posting but I wanted to get a definitive answer to my question.

Edited by Outofammo
addition of info

I know what I think the answer is, but like you said, the new production rules are just that....new. If I had to answer this I'd probably drop an email to Troy at DNROI@uspsa.org  and ask him the question, that would be a definitive answer. (and keep a copy of the answer in your range bag) Please share your answer here, I'm sure many would be interested.

I would tend to agree with you that the mag release relief should be legal under the new rules, but creating a thumbrest in the frame would not.  Having said that, I know some people are looking at things like the accelerator cut as a grey area because D4 22.2 pertains to grips, not frames.  IMHO, a thumbrest is a thumbrest, regardless of whether it's on the grips or on the frame.

Thank you for the responses. I will send an email to Troy when I get home. 

Is my conclusion correct that appears that texture or stippling is ok on the little pad where most shooters rest their thumb on a Glock? It’s just that it would transition into being prohibited if a “shelf” or mini “*thumb rest [generic]*” like shape were created on that pad? Thank you everyone for the clarification. 

Edited by Outofammo

On 6/9/2018 at 1:13 PM, Outofammo said:

Thank you for the responses. I will send an email to Troy when I get home. 

Is my conclusion correct that appears that texture or stippling is ok on the little pad where most shooters rest their thumb on a Glock? It’s just that it would transition into being prohibited if a “shelf” or mini “*thumb rest [generic]*” like shape were created on that pad? Thank you everyone for the clarification. 

I believe you’ll hear from Troy that beveling the frame behind the mag release and stippling at thumb pad are both entirely okay.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I did send an email to Troy for clarification. When I hear back from him I will update this thread. How long does it normally take for Troy to answer an email?

Edited by Outofammo

• 2 weeks later...

There is a whole list of frame modifications that are legal in production...

Heard back from Troy. Magazine release bevels on Glock frames are allowed in production. Would have been nice if this was clearly defined in the rules. However, it is in fact legal.

On 6/21/2018 at 4:41 PM, Dpolk said:

From what I understand no modification to the frame is leagal in production. 

That was true at one point.

However, this is 2018. Run any hammer or aftermarket flat trigger or safety you please.

And grind your finger grooves off and then stipple the grip.