Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Malfunction diagnosis

Chillywig

How many rounds did you fire before this happened? The chamber could get hot and or dirty and the extractor slipped. Once that happens it’s going to try and load next round. 

extractor lost tension... bullet slipped right past the hook and stayed in your chamber as the one underneath tried to come up...
You need to add tension to the extractor but be careful, as too much could disturb the incoming bullet and cause the slide to jamb slightly out of battery...
And Clean your gun as Homie suggested...

I battled with this for couple months only to find out I had a tiny crack in my Wilson extractor that caused it to loose tension quickly, somewhere between 50-100 rounds (the crack was probably there since day 1 but I was too new to 1911s to know what than an extractor could cause more than 1 type of malfunction)

Edited by bigbob21

The slide and barrel are locked together initially, meaning that the slide has velocity at the time the barrel ramps down.  Thereby, if the extractor fails to retain its grip on the casing, the casing stays while the slide continues to move to the rear.

I had put quite a few rounds thru the gun and it was warm and pretty dirty. It has an Aftec extractor in it. Tension seems to be good and I had it out and cleaned it less than 1k rounds ago.

I had the same thing happen before the last cleaning and had attributed it to being dirty and or a gummed up extractor. But I also am leaning toward the brass I am using as a possible culprit. I have "once fired" brass I've bought from a couple different sources. The cheaper brass supplier isn't as well cleaned and maybe not as well sorted. Some of the cases look like they have a bit of road rash. I never really thought about it - but if it passed case gauge it goes in the shoot em bucket.

However this one split right in one of the surface gouges.

20180608_103542_resized.jpg

35 minutes ago, Chillywig said:

I had the same thing happen before the last cleaning and had attributed it to being dirty and or a gummed up extractor. But I also am leaning toward the brass I am using as a possible culprit. I have "once fired" brass I've bought from a couple different sources. The cheaper brass supplier isn't as well cleaned and maybe not as well sorted. Some of the cases look like they have a bit of road rash. I never really thought about it - but if it passed case gauge it goes in the shoot em bucket.

However this one split right in one of the surface gouges.

I have never understood the practice of spending 4 to 5 thousand dollars on a race gun and then putting the cheapest used brass you can scrounge up into your race gun?????  

Would you buy a Ferrari and then buy Big O brand tires, use recycled motor oil and try to run 87 octane gas from Rotten Robbie?

Then wonder why you have problems?

Edited by Ming the Merciless

I only spent $3,000 for my race gun (actually $6,000 for two of them) and

I use range brass.   

Have to reject some, of course, but all the rest goes bang    :) 

But, I don't buy from Rotten Robbie, I buy only from Bad Bob    ?

I was scratching my head after seeing what happened and thinking the same thing about my junky brass I let pass inspection. For a moment I had a crazy thought about buying all brand new 9mm brass. I'm definitely going to spend some more time scrutinizing the brass I feed my pistol. 

As long as you buy once fired from reputable source you should be ok. I buy sorted headstamps so I’m getting a bunch of one brand. I’d only buy new brass if I was shooting a lot of majors, not really necessary if you just shot local matches. 

I had the same problem, but figured out magazines were my problem. Basically the feed lips were too wide presenting the next round high enough to pull the round from the extractor before ejection. I moved the feed lips in to .335-.340 (9mm) and no problems since. Try it on one magazine and see if it solves the problem.

15 hours ago, Ming the Merciless said:

I have never understood the practice of spending 4 to 5 thousand dollars on a race gun and then putting the cheapest used brass you can scrounge up into your race gun?????  

Would you buy a Ferrari and then buy Big O brand tires, use recycled motor oil and try to run 87 octane gas from Rotten Robbie?

Then wonder why you have problems?

Where is a like button when you need one?  Great point Ming!

I shot 9 maj brass until it cracks or primers won’t stay in. Never a issue yet. That’s why we shooting 9 major an not super Comp. Andy if new springs in your aftec try worn down one in front an new in back. I had trouble in 40 an this solved it. An could be worn hook on extractor. Try one out of back up gun

Like others have said. The first think i would look at is the extractor.  Too loose/rounded/broken.....

It can also be caused by tight out of spec chamber. I have also seen reloads with not enough crimp cause that issue. Good way to test this, is the ammo plunk test in the barrel. Typically of the ammo passes the plunk test then usually it won't be the ammo or chamber!

Another thing to check. Make sure the extractor is not contacting the barrel when the gun is in battery. That will cause problems as well!

Edited by Stymie12000

35 minutes ago, Chillywig said:

Gun is dirty. Been right at 1k since I cleaned it. Doesn't appear the extractor is contacting anything 

Screenshot_20180609-194859.png

Agreed! Extractor is not making contact!

1000 rounds..... definitely dirty. Might clean the extractor channel! And everything else.

This happened to me in my most recent match.  Cleaning it that night I discovered the brass plate covering the springs on the aftec extractor had broken into 3 parts (>2000).  6 months ago I had an aftec break in half. Check to make sure your extractor is in tact first.  

Last night I tried plunking and basically nothing was dropping in. Historically I have only plunked ammo before a match and that's when I would clean the chamber. And its been a long time since I plunked so the chamber was extra dirty. Once cleaned everything dropped in as expected

This was the only gun stoppage in the last 1k rounds so all in all I am not too disappointed. I think the split brass was the main issue compounded by a dirty chamber and weak aftec rear spring.

Things I learned is proper gun maintenance and brass/ammo inspection is important  - I really wanted to blame it on witchcraft but looks like it was all me...