Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers

wingnut

Whatever you can your hands on.  Federal have been hard to come by.  I'll think I'm going to get small rifle on my next order.  It seems a lot of people use them for pistol and rifle.

So I have used,, wolf, federal, cci, win, magnum, small rifle, small pistol in race guns,in 40 s&w , I guess I’m lucky they all went bang

not a lot of difference Unless you are right on top of pressure..

I ran about 180pf for a long time with fed sr primers. Got some umc sr gave to me and had one rupture. So now I only use fed sr for major and I use what ever I can get for minor.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

On 6/8/2018 at 9:24 AM, wingnut said:

Winchester or Federal primers for open gun

I use either based on availability. SR Fed or Win. Both work great at major pf.

Edited by 191138sc

I typically like federal primers, but after having availability issues, I have been using Winchester small rifle primers and they have been working well.  I'm considering switching over to winchester, but the only reason is because of the packaging. 

4 minutes ago, 3gunDQ said:

I have run thousands of S&B in my SVs and they all went boom. 

Pistol or rifle? SB rifle are they only primers that I could not make work short of a 22# mainspring. Pistol were as good as Winchester, not as sensitive as Federal. The price was definitely right.

I prefer CCI 500.  I get better SDs with them over the WSP.  They are slick and always round so they work extremely well in a primer tube filler.  They always go bang.  I do have some WSP, but I don't like them.  They are often out of round and jam up the primer tube filler, plus the are harder to seat.  I have to use then for one CZ, because the 13 lb mainspring won't reliably fire CCI.  As soon as I can find a 15 lb spring, I'll switch it and go to all CCI.  I have nothing against Federal, except they come in huge boxes.  20,000 of them take up an enormous amount of room.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to use federal small magnum pistol with no issues but have recently switched to win small rifle cause of availability. Have shot maybe 3-4K rounds and have been reliable with a 17lb mainspring