Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Let's talk muzzle brakes... Again

mikek2111987

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rectifire must have gotten in trouble, his post disappeared. His brake had almost no baffle surface perpendicular to the bore, so it wouldn't be a good brake, and it had no directional venting so it wouldn't be a good compensator. Perhaps it works as a flash hider?

On 6/7/2018 at 7:37 PM, HoMiE said:

I like the JP 3 port comp but am also starting to like the Seekins ATC comp as well. 

I’m no expert on comps by any means but I can give a big +1 to the Seekins ATC.  I’ve used the PRI comp too and liked that one as well but would give the edge to the Seekins.  Both returned to the same spot after the shot but the ATC had a nice consistent rise and fall whereas the PRI was a bit more circuitous in its pah. Neither would be a bad choice.  

7 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Does that mean the Tank is legal for OPEN ?

Usually no restriction for open so yes legal. Limited and Tactical usually have 3” long x 1” diameter for muzzle devices. 

14 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Does that mean the Tank is legal for OPEN ?

What homie said above. UML rules put a restriction on brake width in all the other classes

8 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

Rectifire must have gotten in trouble, his post disappeared. His brake had almost no baffle surface perpendicular to the bore, so it wouldn't be a good brake, and it had no directional venting so it wouldn't be a good compensator. Perhaps it works as a flash hider?

Interesting. But if you watch the video on his page, the thing has horrid recoil. Must've just wanted to make something cool looking, that works along the same property lines as the Helix suppressors

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2018 at 6:15 AM, mikek2111987 said:

What homie said above. UML rules put a restriction on brake width in all the other classes

Interesting. But if you watch the video on his page, the thing has horrid recoil. Must've just wanted to make something cool looking, that works along the same property lines as the Helix suppressors

Can't change the law of physics.  Perhaps it would work as flash mitigator but no way in h_ll that would keep the muzzle steady.  Many others have tried to come up with ideas for muzzle brake but I can say lack of engineering and validation via test data, those ideas have, and will, not gain appreciable market footing because they plainly don't work.  

40 minutes ago, NoKimberDave said:

That's it. I'm giving up my 3gun rifle w/ brake for a shorty pistol with a birdcage. This fellas blazing times have shown me the light.

He is not saying the m4fh is better then the comp. That said a m4 type flash hider is a mild comp unlike a birdcage that has slots all the way around. Just saying.

36 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

Nice video - but - would have been more informative to show group size for each test unit.

Statistically speaking, he didn't fire enough strings/groups to create a valid sample size to prove anything at all.

Edited by jkrispies

I've been running the Surefire brakes and found them more than adequate. I wasn't a big fan of the cost especially since I  don't run a can so when they came out the MB only version for 1/2 the cost, I was all in. They work.  

"Statistically speaking, he didn't fire enough strings/groups to create a valid sample size to prove anything at all."

True, but a couple of USPSA targets at about 30yds or so would have possibly shown some difference between the two.

20 hours ago, jkrispies said:

Ten more go throughs with a bare muzzle and he'll be fastest of all.  It's this crazy thing called 'practice'.

You say practice, I say just love to shoot. I love 3 gun I shoot a battle comp and a JMC but the battle comp is best I found. But you get 3 JM for 1 battlecomp

Edited by usmc1974

For what its worth, I have been running a Strike Industries Checkmate on my 18" rifle, and it has been an awesome comp for the money. Keeps the muzzle flat and isn't nearly as punishing as some of the other comps out there. I just order the Strike King Comp for my 14.5" to be pinned. For the money, and I believe he says it in one of the comp tests on TTAG, strike industries brakes are awesome. 

On 7/4/2018 at 12:12 PM, usmc1974 said:

He is not saying the m4fh is better then the comp. That said a m4 type flash hider is a mild comp unlike a birdcage that has slots all the way around. Just saying.

Just trying to be humorous.

My point is that in respect to 3gun, the video doesn't prove anything at all. Except that the flash hider clearly has more recoil.

Edited by NoKimberDave
spelling

1 hour ago, NoKimberDave said:

Just trying to be humorous.

My point is that in respect to 3gun, the video doesn't prove anything at all. Except that the flash hider clearly has more recoil.

I know you was joking. My main 3 gun AR is comped.

Edited by usmc1974

• 2 weeks later...