Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Let's talk muzzle brakes... Again

mikek2111987

I like many guys read through all of the muzzle brake shootout test and ended up buying a Precision Armament M4-72 severe-duty brake. The thing is absolutely miserable to shoot, a large amount of concussion and gas comes directly back towards shooter, not to mention a huge fireball. Someone I was shooting with suggested getting an adjustable gas block, so I did (Seekins at 2 turns out) but it was no help, the front 4 inches of my handguard are brown from it. This thing has got to go.

So what are people running that don't make shooting unpleasant but gives a major recoil reduction? I've seen a lot of guys running the new (and affordable) Miculek brake. I've heard the Titan has a pretty enormous concussion, as long as I'm not the one suffering from it I don't care though. 

Edited by mikek2111987

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, PatriotMRD said:

I have a couple of Titans. I really don't notice an overpowering concussion behind the rifle unless I get into a really confined area. Everyone else complains about it.

Good to know

7 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

What ammo are you running ?

I was shooting 55gr American eagle which was horrid. Match grade IMI 77gr was a little better

5 minutes ago, HoMiE said:

I like the JP 3 port comp but am also starting to like the Seekins ATC comp as well. 

I've heard good things about the Seekins

3 minutes ago, PatriotMRD said:

The Seekins is a solid choice for a shooter friendly brake, Carbon Arms Gas Hog also. I've been very pleased with the Cobalt Kinetics brake lately, RO's still hate it but it's fine for the shooter.

Curious how an adjustable GB was supposed to help anything though?

24 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

The Seekins is a solid choice for a shooter friendly brake, Carbon Arms Gas Hog also. I've been very pleased with the Cobalt Kinetics brake lately, RO's still hate it but it's fine for the shooter.

Curious how an adjustable GB was supposed to help anything though?

Questioning that myself. Waste of money looking back. 

33 minutes ago, Pcew73 said:

Check out Coda Evolution.  I switched to it from the PA and it made a big difference in gas back to me and felt recoil was reduced. Plus it looks cool!

Those things are pretty sweet looking

53 minutes ago, PatriotMRD said:

I have a couple of Titans. I really don't notice an overpowering concussion behind the rifle unless I get into a really confined area. Everyone else complains about it.

But, I bought them for me not to please others. I look at them not as just muzzle brakes but, also as anti-crowding devices. They work well for both.

I run a UM Tactical RAGE brake and love it. I've stood behind it while someone else was shooting the rifle and directly behind the shooter there is no blast but standing next to the shooter and you can definitely hear and feel a difference, so it does push the concussion out enough to where I don't feel it as the shooter, plus it's adjustable.

As for the adjustable gas block being a waste, it will come in handy if/when you decide to go to a lightweight BCG and/or buffer system.

Edited by MustangMan
Fat fingers hit wrong letters

JP 3 port if you’re sensitive to noise. 3 Port indoors if you’re not!! 

Also, if you’re running a 14.5” barrel with full power ammo and want quiet...you might just run a can. I had a M4 and a JP 3 port on 14.5’s and quiet they were not 

Double ear pro works wonders for loud rifles and shooters. 

SJC Titans are great!

Bennie Hill/TSS Rolling Thunder is also great.

Heard great things about the Rage, Seekins ATC, Carbon Arms Gas Hogb and the Miculek too. There are also others that work well.

In my mind, you cant beat the Miculek for the price.

If spending $100+, my next one will be a Ti Titan or Rolling Thunder.

If you're right handed, the PRI QC comp is pretty great.  Miculek break is really good too.  And the newer 3-port JP comp works well for my .308.  The Gas Hog is nice too but that price and I'm not sure if it's better than the previous 3 I mentioned

JP Bennie Cooley 2-ports or the new JP 3-ports.  Both direct gas 90 degrees from the muzzle.

Anything with angled baffles backward will send noise and gas back to the shooter, this is nothing new.  For gas jet to work effectively, it must have large surface(s) to impinge upon and gets redirected from the front exit hole.  The more gas is redirected, the better the result.  Some design went too far with the angle beyond the 180/90 in the quest to improve "braking" effectiveness, simple physics.  Of course, those backwardly redirected gas blasts also carry sound => Shooter.

On 6/13/2018 at 6:19 AM, PacMan said:

JP Bennie Cooley 2-ports or the new JP 3-ports.  Both direct gas 90 degrees from the muzzle.

Anything with angled baffles backward will send noise and gas back to the shooter, this is nothing new.  For gas jet to work effectively, it must have large surface(s) to impinge upon and gets redirected from the front exit hole.  The more gas is redirected, the better the result.  Some design went too far with the angle beyond the 180/90 in the quest to improve "braking" effectiveness, simple physics.  Of course, those backwardly redirected gas blasts also carry sound => Shooter.

Titan has ports angled rearward a touch, but not that terrible for shooter. Just don't stand next to the guy shooting one of them.