Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
mikek2111987

Let's talk muzzle brakes... Again

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I like many guys read through all of the muzzle brake shootout test and ended up buying a Precision Armament M4-72 severe-duty brake. The thing is absolutely miserable to shoot, a large amount of concussion and gas comes directly back towards shooter, not to mention a huge fireball. Someone I was shooting with suggested getting an adjustable gas block, so I did (Seekins at 2 turns out) but it was no help, the front 4 inches of my handguard are brown from it. This thing has got to go.

 

So what are people running that don't make shooting unpleasant but gives a major recoil reduction? I've seen a lot of guys running the new (and affordable) Miculek brake. I've heard the Titan has a pretty enormous concussion, as long as I'm not the one suffering from it I don't care though. 

Edited by mikek2111987

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the JP 3 port comp but am also starting to like the Seekins ATC comp as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a couple of Titans. I really don't notice an overpowering concussion behind the rifle unless I get into a really confined area. Everyone else complains about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PatriotMRD said:

I have a couple of Titans. I really don't notice an overpowering concussion behind the rifle unless I get into a really confined area. Everyone else complains about it.

Good to know

7 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

What ammo are you running ?

I was shooting 55gr American eagle which was horrid. Match grade IMI 77gr was a little better

5 minutes ago, HoMiE said:

I like the JP 3 port comp but am also starting to like the Seekins ATC comp as well. 

I've heard good things about the Seekins

3 minutes ago, PatriotMRD said:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what do you want for this brake you hate so bad?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mwray said:

So what do you want for this brake you hate so bad?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can clean it up and return it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out Coda Evolution.  I switched to it from the PA and it made a big difference in gas back to me and felt recoil was reduced. Plus it looks cool!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Seekins is a solid choice for a shooter friendly brake, Carbon Arms Gas Hog also. I've been very pleased with the Cobalt Kinetics brake lately, RO's still hate it but it's fine for the shooter.

 

Curious how an adjustable GB was supposed to help anything though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

The Seekins is a solid choice for a shooter friendly brake, Carbon Arms Gas Hog also. I've been very pleased with the Cobalt Kinetics brake lately, RO's still hate it but it's fine for the shooter.

 

Curious how an adjustable GB was supposed to help anything though?

Questioning that myself. Waste of money looking back. 

 

33 minutes ago, Pcew73 said:

Check out Coda Evolution.  I switched to it from the PA and it made a big difference in gas back to me and felt recoil was reduced. Plus it looks cool!

Those things are pretty sweet looking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, PatriotMRD said:

I have a couple of Titans. I really don't notice an overpowering concussion behind the rifle unless I get into a really confined area. Everyone else complains about it.

But, I bought them for me not to please others. I look at them not as just muzzle brakes but, also as anti-crowding devices. They work well for both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I run a UM Tactical RAGE brake and love it. I've stood behind it while someone else was shooting the rifle and directly behind the shooter there is no blast but standing next to the shooter and you can definitely hear and feel a difference, so it does push the concussion out enough to where I don't feel it as the shooter, plus it's adjustable.

 

As for the adjustable gas block being a waste, it will come in handy if/when you decide to go to a lightweight BCG and/or buffer system.

 

 

Edited by MustangMan
Fat fingers hit wrong letters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JP 3 port if you’re sensitive to noise. 3 Port indoors if you’re not!! 

 

Also, if you’re running a 14.5” barrel with full power ammo and want quiet...you might just run a can. I had a M4 and a JP 3 port on 14.5’s and quiet they were not 

 

Double ear pro works wonders for loud rifles and shooters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SJC Titans are great!

Bennie Hill/TSS Rolling Thunder is also great.

Heard great things about the Rage, Seekins ATC, Carbon Arms Gas Hogb and the Miculek too. There are also others that work well.

In my mind, you cant beat the Miculek for the price.

If spending $100+, my next one will be a Ti Titan or Rolling Thunder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I landed on the Black rain ordnance, that's who made my rifle is made by so I stuck to it. They were also on sale for $60, otherwise I think I would've gone with the Coda for over 100

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I shoot a pa. I don’t notice a ton of gas after that he first round is sent down range. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're right handed, the PRI QC comp is pretty great.  Miculek break is really good too.  And the newer 3-port JP comp works well for my .308.  The Gas Hog is nice too but that price and I'm not sure if it's better than the previous 3 I mentioned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The JP 2 port compensator works great. No gas in my face and sights barely move. I haven't tried the 3 port compensator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JP Bennie Cooley 2-ports or the new JP 3-ports.  Both direct gas 90 degrees from the muzzle.

 

Anything with angled baffles backward will send noise and gas back to the shooter, this is nothing new.  For gas jet to work effectively, it must have large surface(s) to impinge upon and gets redirected from the front exit hole.  The more gas is redirected, the better the result.  Some design went too far with the angle beyond the 180/90 in the quest to improve "braking" effectiveness, simple physics.  Of course, those backwardly redirected gas blasts also carry sound => Shooter.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2018 at 6:19 AM, PacMan said:

JP Bennie Cooley 2-ports or the new JP 3-ports.  Both direct gas 90 degrees from the muzzle.

 

Anything with angled baffles backward will send noise and gas back to the shooter, this is nothing new.  For gas jet to work effectively, it must have large surface(s) to impinge upon and gets redirected from the front exit hole.  The more gas is redirected, the better the result.  Some design went too far with the angle beyond the 180/90 in the quest to improve "braking" effectiveness, simple physics.  Of course, those backwardly redirected gas blasts also carry sound => Shooter.

 

 

Titan has ports angled rearward a touch, but not that terrible for shooter. Just don't stand next to the guy shooting one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best brake I've ever used is the JP "tank brake",  unfortunately it's outlawed by some, if not all, of the organizations running matches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Steve RA said:

Best brake I've ever used is the JP "tank brake",  unfortunately it's outlawed by some, if not all, of the organizations running matches.

Yeah it's against UML rules, I think it will throw you in open class. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rectifire said:

Check out our Cyclone Muzzle Brake at www.rectifire.com.

 

Do you have any data comparing the effectivenss of your muzzle brake

vs other leading brands ?

 

The sure are a very attractive brake    :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×