Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Books and DVDs

Now that my kids are getting older and my wife and I have settled into that comfortable stage of marriage where we don't talk, I thought I'd get back into USPSA.

For background, I shot club matches regularly from 2004 through 2011.  I didnt really get serious about going to multiple matches a month or major matches until the last year or two.  Prior to that, it was mostly for fun.  The last year I was really active, I managed to make B class production. 

My goal now is to be a well rounded A either this fall or next spring.  By well rounded I mean not sucking on long field courses like I used to.  To that end, I've decided to invest in books or DVDs.

I've narrowed it down to Matt Burkett or Ben Stoeger's DVDs, or a dryfire book from Steve Anderson or Ben Stoeger. 

My question to you all is which format do you recommend (DVD or book) and from who in order to reach my goal?

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

I would recommend just the book(s) to start with. Both Steve and Ben wrote great books with similar drills that will get you up to speed fairly quickly. Steve teaches three different types of practice to progress as quickly as possible whereas Ben just gives you the facts.

For video, just browse the social media video outlets; youtubes, facebooks, etc... 

By not buying a DVD, you could get Steve's and Ben's latest dryfire books. I own a DVD by Stoeger and trust me, you're not missing out on anything that isn't already available on youtube by the GMs out there right now.

You can not go wrong with either, I have almost all of them. Ben’s DVD’s are good and are more advanced than Matt’s. Matt’s do build on each other, each of Ben’s stand alone. His books are great along with Steve Anderson’s. They all of their strengths and not not go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

My number one recommendation is to find private training. This will help to diagnose your problems and areas that you can improve right away. You can get there by reading books or watching DVDs, figuring out stuff by yourself. But private training will get you there faster, cost is an issue. 

I just got into competitive shooting and purchased Steve Andersons Get To Work book. Its a decent book. The dry fire drills are worth it. I just purchased two of Ben Stoegers DVD's cause I'm a much more visual learner to help build upon Steve's book. I haven't got to watch them yet, I'm hoping I can get to them this weekend.

As an example of what Steve's book has done for me. I shot my first match about 5 weeks ago and finished 14 of 17. I read the book, dry fired 5 times for about an hour each. Then I shot one larger match of 60 people and finished 33 out of 60 4 weeks ago this Sunday. Then a week after that I shot the same match I finished 14th in and finished 4th overall out of 16. I'm not putting all the credit to the book, but the dry fire drills and a few things I read knocked many seconds off.

I did shoot a lot more Alphas after dry fire practicing I do accredit that to the book... And now, my wife wants to read the book.

Edited by shakin_bakin