Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Guy shot himself during “make ready”.

Dlister70

8 minutes ago, tacomandood said:

I have a friend who started shooting at the same time as me, so we usually go to matches together. Then, he’s always asking me questions about everything and it pisses me off because he still hasn’t read the rule book. I always tell him to go read it himself instead of asking me all these questions he should know by now.

The idiot should’ve been DQ’d last match because he unholstered his gun for a table start before the RO gave him the “make ready”. His excuse: “oh that’s a rule? I didn’t know that”. Luckily, the RO that was in our squad let it slip for him.

That RO is more F’ed up than him!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, tacomandood said:

First stage of the match and he was like the third shooter, so I think he was trying to be nice. I think he should’ve been DQ’d, and then he would’ve had to sit around the whole match while I shot since we rode there together lol.

He basically learned no lesson that day.

3 hours ago, regor said:

@jripperobviously you were present so you know if this was a genuine safety issue or not, but in either case that says to me that this guy didn't read the USPSA rule book before showing up to compete. There are people who carry 1911s cocked and safety off; the rule book makes it quite clear what the "safe" conditions are for each type of handgun/division and when it has to be in that condition.

I think it's unreasonable to expect every new competitor to memorize the rule book start to finish, but it's disappointing to see new shooters who have not read it at all, especially the basic safety requirements. It's understandable if you don't know how to score a shot that breaks a perforation, if your magazines are under 140mm, or whether standing on the fault line is in or out; that stuff is learned as you go. But every competitor should know the general safety rules as well as those specific for the division they are planning to shoot (for example, a competitor shooting a Shadow 2 in Production has a different "safe condition" than a competitor shooting the same in Limited). I'm fairly new to the sport but I have shot alongside at least one other new shooter in every match I have shot so far; it's very clear when they have read the rule book (slow draw, extra care in pointing down range when reloading, etc.) versus when they haven't (didn't know there were different divisions, one-handed/nearly blind shooting through a port at an angled target, transitioning between positions with the muzzle up like a TV detective [didn't break the 180 doing so, but came very close]). 

New shooters are required to do a safety check before their first match in my region, which mostly consists of a rule/safety overview and a verification that you can safely draw/holster, but I don't recall ever being asked if I had read the rule book, which IMO should be a do-not-pass go requirement. Reading the book is not going to completely eliminate mistakes, but it's hard to believe that anyone who has NOT read the book takes safety seriously. 

I actually wasn't there, but was told this by people who were there.  I think that there should be a safety briefing for new shooters, and this should be covered under that.   

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2018 at 7:55 AM, tacomandood said:

First stage of the match and he was like the third shooter, so I think he was trying to be nice. I think he should’ve been DQ’d, and then he would’ve had to sit around the whole match while I shot since we rode there together lol.

Well, that's what happens when you get DQ'd...you don't sit around, you become the squad's "brass bitch" lol

Only ever seen one ND in a very similar situation where the guy shot himself through the leg. He was a cop, and the Local Area Command arrived with "blues n' two's' (ie lights and sirens blaring) as they couldn't wait to shut the range down completely. I was there when the ambos were tending to the guy and the police showed up...they visibly 'sagged' in disappointment when he quoted his duty number to them...damn, we can't shut down the range after all! Lol

Edited by zhuk

2 hours ago, zhuk said:

Well, that's what happens when you get DQ'd...you don't sit around, you become the squad's "brass bitch" lol

Fair enough. Our club doesn’t require you pick up brass, so I would’ve nominated him as the paster master lol. From what I’ve seen/heard, I figure most people just throw a fit and go home early.

27 minutes ago, tacomandood said:

Fair enough. Our club doesn’t require you pick up brass, so I would’ve nominated him as the paster master lol. From what I’ve seen/heard, I figure most people just throw a fit and go home early.

Yeah that would pretty much be seen as "bad form" here, just to cut & run. Even in  multi day comp, sometimes those who have been unfortunate enough to get DQ'd early on still turn up every day and help their squad...you've paid your entry fee, and if you've travelled interstate for a match, what else are you gonna do anyway? lol

That’s how I see it too. When I got a nice DQ in October I eventually took over the Practiscore tab so everyone could focus on just shooting and pasting. That’d be even tougher on a multi-day match, but you’d probably have to wait for your travel back home anyway so might as well show up and get the free food lol.

Going back to the original story here, I’m sure if someone shot themself they’d obviously be done for the rest of the match without a choice lol. Does the much end up getting shut down for everyone else in that case?

2 hours ago, tacomandood said:

Does the much end up getting shut down for everyone else in that case?

When I've been at a match where there was an ambulance run (heat stroke in this case), all guns were cleared when the ambulance was called and shooting resumed after the ambulance had left.  

Years ago I was at a match where on the draw a guy sent 230 grain round in his thigh it ran down his leg and came out his calf.  He actually took it pretty good, probably in shock.  After ambulance left we finished match but it was pretty somber.

Edited by rooster
Spelling

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2019 at 9:47 PM, tacomandood said:

That’s how I see it too. When I got a nice DQ in October I eventually took over the Practiscore tab so everyone could focus on just shooting and pasting. That’d be even tougher on a multi-day match, but you’d probably have to wait for your travel back home anyway so might as well show up and get the free food lol.

Going back to the original story here, I’m sure if someone shot themself they’d obviously be done for the rest of the match without a choice lol. Does the much end up getting shut down for everyone else in that case?

If someone shot themselves in a match here, pistol shooting would probably be banned (and I'm not really even kidding 😕)

On 1/6/2019 at 7:35 AM, rooster said:

Years ago I was at a match where on the draw a guy sent 230 grain round in his thigh it ran down his leg and came out his calf.  He actually took it pretty good, probably in shock.  After ambulance left we finished match but it was pretty somber.

I was at my club when pretty much just that happened (but with target 9mm load, still not uh, pleasant lol)

But it was a cop, who had a civilian licence...ambos & police were called, the local area command came racing out, lights & sirens aplenty. Watched while they got to the ambulance where the poor guy was lying, you could see them all pumped up and excited at the prospect of closing the range down. Then I heard the guy quote his rank and badge number...and their shoulders visibly sagged in disappointment LOL

• 1 month later...

Kmanick :  love your comment "People get "too comfortable" and don't pay enough attention.  This is in every sport most of the forum for this subject talks about new shooters, that isn't the problem some of the worst offenders are experienced shooters! If you look at skydiving accidents with are compiled monthly by the USPA the person and jumps done are listed 95 percent are people with over thousand jumps. The saying complacency kills is true .As a RO watch everyone and if some one is cocky in  there weapon  handling or on the edge of unsafe tell them to slow down . 

Just now, Sparten8654 said:

Kmanick :  love your comment "People get "too comfortable" and don't pay enough attention.  This is in every sport most of the forum for this subject talks about new shooters, that isn't the problem some of the worst offenders are experienced shooters! If you look at skydiving accidents with are compiled monthly by the USPA the person and jumps done are listed 95 percent are people with over thousand jumps. The saying complacency kills is true .As a RO watch everyone and if some one is cocky in  there weapon  handling or on the edge of unsafe tell them to slow down . 

Tell them to slow down? Might give that advice to a newbie, but experienced shooters? No way. 

Even experienced shooters can flag someone or have a ND when holstering. It's  a race to get the gun out of the holster, but your not timed on putting back in . Even in combative shooting courses or real life  people  can be  quick to put the pistol back in the holster,  even when there was a reason for drawing in the first place.

• 8 months later...

Two incidents at our club during matches:

1 - Shot himself in the leg during the draw from a Serpa holster. 

For those not familiar with the Serpa, there is a "unlock" button on the holster to draw the gun.  It lines up with the trigger.  He pushed the button and kept the pressure on as the gun came out and his finger hits the trigger.... hard.  .40 round went into the thigh, then out of the thigh and into the calf.  Came to rest just below the skin after breaking the fibula bone.  He was lucky that the ER was less than 2 miles from the range and we had a physician's assistant shooting the match.  She took care of everything, including chasing the guy away that insisted he had a medical background and demanded she put a tourniquet on him.  When she asked what type of medical training he had, he said "I sell durable medical equipment".  🥺   When the EMT's arrived, they look over the situation and told her "Great job.  There's nothing for us to do except load him up and drive."  Serpa holsters are no longer allowed at the club for USPSA competition.

2 - Racegun went off during the draw.

Round went into the dirt just to the right of the shooter's foot (it missed).  He was so shaken up that after the "Stop" command followed by "Unload and Show Clear", he didn't.  He shot the ground AGAIN about 2" to the right of the first bullet impact as he was trying to re-holster.  Non-standard command of "WHOA" quickly followed....

BC

Edited by BillChunn
cain't spel

She took care of everything, including chasing the guy away that insisted he had a medical background and demanded she put a tourniquet on him.  When she asked what type of medical training he had, he said "I sell durable medical equipment"

Let me guess, his name was Timmy?