Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pellet Grills (Green Mountain Grills)

Thinking about getting the Daniel Boone model with Wi-Fi.  Anyone here have experience with this grill?  I know Costco has the Traeger and my friends have bought those.  Also...Is pellets the way to go?

thanks!

I had a Traeger about 10 years ago and used it A LOT!!.  It was very simple to use and made food taste great.  Biggest downside is they don't get hot enough to sear meat.  I bought a Big Green Egg after that and it's the best grill I've ever owned.  Not as easy to use as the pellet grill, but you can go low and slow to 700 degrees.  And it's impervious to weather.  

I looked at them,but like Trace I bought the big green egg..and I love that thing..have had it 6-7 years

my neighbor has a pellet grill no brand name, he likes it..I can’t get over the drop cord to plug it in for use..

but it works..

• 1 month later...

I got a Traeger last summer.  I like it a lot.  I think of it more like an outdoor oven (has to be plugged in).  Just cooked frozen pizza on it tonight.  Meats taste better.  Pellets are maybe a little more expensive than propane.  I get mine up to 430F no prob, sear meats nearer the edges or the grill grate where the air moves (or use a well heated cast iron  skillet). Nothing like a 700F sear though... ?

Edited by IronicTwitch

• 1 month later...

Got a Traeger for Father's Day.  Amazing!  I simply would not have believed the difference in the taste quality of beef cooked on that thing, had I not personally tasted it!  Used mesquite pellets so far, and really like them, but will surely experiment with the different pellets that are available.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

have a Pit Boss vertical smoker I bought almost a year and a half ago.  Not so good for grilling, for sure, but I've smoked brisket, ribs, sausage and chicken, pork chops, etc and it does a fabulous job as a smoker.  I also have one of the BGE "knock-off's" (Char-Griller Kamado) and it did good as well.