Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris FF3 on open gun?

Sandbagger123

I haven’t but used there customer service on a broken 3 moa. I ask if it was broke could I have a 8 moa. Sent brand new 8 moa out in one week. Guess I’m getting at is that’s probably best service of any of optic companies 

I have 5 FF3 8 MOAs mounted.  Three of them are slide mounted.  The oldest, mounted on a 1911 45 ACP lasted 40,000 rounds of 160 PF bullseye loads and 172PF major loads before the small piece of plastic covering the LED port split and fell off.  The sight still worked perfectly.  Burris said send it in anyway.  I did and they replaced it with a new one.  Another worked fine for years until I mounted it on another gun.  To zero I had to almost max out the windage.  At that spot the click stop on the windage screw was very light and the zero would jump after a few shots.  Burris replaced it. 

So if my three slide mounted FF3s can live with the pounding I give them, they will most certainly live on a frame mount.

I have not had the same reliability with my three DPPs or the three RTS2v4s.  Two of the C-Mores had to go back to the factory before they were even mounted.  Two are going back to have the boards corrected.  A battery does not last a match.  One of the DPPs accelerometer boards broke and had to be returned.  A month later, it's on it's way back to me.

So if you like the Burris, go buy it.  The only 'drawback', if you will, is the battery lasts soooo long you don't notice when the dot starts dimming.  If you put a new battery in every year or two, the dot will always be bright enough to see on white steel in full sunlight.

Edited by zzt

I’m sure it’ll work just fine. I’ve got one on my Ruger 22/45 (not the same I know) and it’s been fine. The reticle is smaller and the dot is not as intense as a Cmore or Deltapoint though.

try to get the battery in before you spend time mounting it. I found it to be a horrible design as the hood prevents you from comeing straight down on the lid which only has about 1 thread on it. Fought with it for half an hour at my desk, under magnification and light and was unable to get the battery installed. Couldnt imagine trying to do this at a range. Returned it to midway and went to a Vortex Viper.

I've had a FF3 3moa for a while now and it just keeps on working. Started out on a dovetail mount with a .40 cal CZ P09 for a season of action pistol, moved it to a 9mm CZ P09 for a season and a half of major 9 USPSA, and it is now on my P320 X5 for carry optics and steel challenge. Its dinged up and looks a little rough but it never loses zero.