Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 special mixed brass on a 1050

I was a bit torn on whether to put this in the 9/38 subforum or here, but I guess both make sense.

I am still a bit new to my 1050 but I have had no issues with any cartridge (loading 223, 9mm, 40, and 357 mag) other than 38 special with mixed brass. I am finding extreme issues with priming, ranging from way high primers to super crushed primers. The worst offenders are PPU, Xtreme, and Aguila. When the primer system is set to operate perfectly for most normal brass (most of mine is Starline, federal, Remington, and winchester) it will crush primers in any of those first three brands horribly. As in, crushes it so hard that you can see the indentation of the anvil clearly through the primer's back side. 

It just seems very odd to me that I am having such pronounced issues with just one cartridge, when most of my other loading for my small pistol cartridges is mixed headstamp brass. Can anyone else confirm or deny issues loading mixed 38s with aguila, ppu, or xtreme?

The obvious solution is to sort the brass, but am I maybe missing a critical step here due to unfamiliarity with the 1050? I haven't tried making huge adjustments to the swage rod because it doesn't seem like it should matter that much in this case, as the problem brands are all uncrimped commercial. As it is set now it makes a slight bevel on the ppu primer pockets. I am using federal gmm primers.

Edited by Echd

PPU is known for snug primer pockets. Swaging only radiuses the primer pocket mouth. Xtreme has historically had dimensional issues. Try resetting the primer seating depth using some PPU and Aguila brass, then see how this setting works on Winchester/Remington/Federal cases.

Unfortunately it comes out too high. I suppose in the long run it isn't that hard to segregate revolver brass so this isn't a big deal, but I will need to sort it by headstamp. I figured that would be the case but I was hoping I was missing something obvious.

Thanks for the response.