Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC Open or Steel?

SmokinGun-G

Would like to hear opinions on running the Open in Steel and the Steel in Open.  Comparable?  Does the shorter barreled Steel make much difference overall in the Open Division?

I don't currently reload, so the off the shelf ammo is quite alluring...

Thank you in advance.

I talked to the STI rep this weekend at the Double Tap Championship in Wichita Falls. I got to hold the STI DVC Steel, and a few of their limited guns. They didnt have the DVC open there, but i asked him a few questions about the two. First off, the DVC steel feels great in the hand, well balanced, smooth slide, all the normal features of a stock STI. It will run off the shelf 9mm and also comes in 38SC. The downfall to the pistol.... IT WONT SHOOT MAJOR. Those were the words of the STI rep himself. The DVC open can shoot stock 9mm with a simple spring change. So, if you're looking to shoot both major in USPSA and stock ammo in Steel Challenge I would definitely go with the DVC open and pick up a few extra springs. 

I run my DVC Open with an 8lb spring for major and it cycles just fine with factory 9mm in that same configuration. I don’t have to change anything if I shoot a USPSA match Saturday and a steel match Sunday. If you’re even considering shooting USPSA and loading your own 9mm to make major then definitely go with the Open model.

On 6/11/2018 at 12:15 PM, Nalle2491 said:

I talked to the STI rep this weekend at the Double Tap Championship in Wichita Falls. I got to hold the STI DVC Steel, and a few of their limited guns. They didnt have the DVC open there, but i asked him a few questions about the two. First off, the DVC steel feels great in the hand, well balanced, smooth slide, all the normal features of a stock STI. It will run off the shelf 9mm and also comes in 38SC. The downfall to the pistol.... IT WONT SHOOT MAJOR. Those were the words of the STI rep himself. The DVC open can shoot stock 9mm with a simple spring change. So, if you're looking to shoot both major in USPSA and stock ammo in Steel Challenge I would definitely go with the DVC open and pick up a few extra springs. 

Is there a specific reason the steel “won’t” run major? I would assume it would just need a change of springs from the factory ones.

I didn’t ask why. I just asked him the difference with them and the dvc steel has a slightly shorter barrel and can’t shoot major according to him. I’d Imagine it wouldn’t hurt it if you changed springs but you never know. Major pressure is way over the saami specs as we all know.