Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching from a G34 with irons to a CZ with a dot...

wdfwguy

I've only been shooting actively for about 9 months, and most of that has been with a Glock, including my first few matches.  Besides the G34, I also have a G17 MOS, SP01 Shadow and a Shadow 2.

I'm planning to send the SP01 to CZC to have the slide milled for an optic.   So, over the next couple of months I'm going to make the switch from striker fired to da/sa, and from iron sights to a red dot.

While I'm waiting for my SP01 to return, would it make more sense to practice with the G17 MOS to get used to the dot, or the Shadow 2 to get used to the handling and da/sa trigger?

How I got used to DA/SA:

Only pulled the trigger in DA from the holster for one-shot draws in dryfire.

The rest of my dryfire was done by cocking the hammer back around 80% of the way and wrapping the hammer & beavertail with electrical tape to keep it there. Do it by feel, so that the trigger moves as far as it actually would in single action.

Then do the rest of your dryfire that way, including lots of work where you’re dryfiring your first shot: four aces, el prez, etc.

People think the DA will give them hell. What you’ll actually struggle with is short-stroking the gun or triggerfreezing in Single Action.

The first trigger pull is the easy one to learn.

I'm sure you're right.  For the last 15 years, 99% of my shooting has been with a Glock or 1911.  But, in a match, you really only fire ~6 shots in DA.

On the hand, 100% has been with iron sights, and I imagine the dot will be a bigger adjustment.

15 minutes ago, wdfwguy said:

I'm sure you're right.  For the last 15 years, 99% of my shooting has been with a Glock or 1911.  But, in a match, you really only fire ~6 shots in DA.

On the hand, 100% has been with iron sights, and I imagine the dot will be a bigger adjustment.

Absolutely. Almost everyone struggles with finding the dot upon drawing and presenting the pistol.  With irons, you have 2 points of reference (front and rear sights) so it's very fast to line them up. With a dot, there is no external reference, so shooters who are new to slide-mounted dots often have to "wobble" the gun around until they find the dot.

The only way to have a reliable presentation to find the dot instantly every time is.... you guessed it.  Putting in the dry fire work. Hundreds of draws.  The plus side of things however, is once you've got that locked down, your shooting speeds up.

13 hours ago, wdfwguy said:

... I imagine the dot will be a bigger adjustment.

You have no idea.

A dot on a centerfire handgun is nothing like a rifle or .22 pistol.

Shooting an array really quickly means the dot usually doesn’t stop moving; you’re shooting with a red “check mark” streaking through the lens.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 2 weeks later...