Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top USPSA Shooters - Individual Classes

Dowter

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't the system as it is now define what plaque, place or prize you'll get at the table. Then if you've won, move you to the next higher class?

If that is what is was designed to do I think it does that. It keeps us all shooting for the next prize table, right?

The current system does everything you are saying, and IMHO works pretty darn good.

What it does not do is rank you according to finishes at matches. Yes it can bump you. But give you a ranking based on finishes compared against all competitors, no it doesn't do that.

The downside to this is very active shooters (lots of majors) will be ranked higher. You could very well have a non active (major match) shooter that is very, very good not rank at all.

Couple of things came to mind.....

I think it would make sponsors take note if someone was approaching them. "I am ranked 25th in the world". I know as a business owner myself, I would take note. As a sponsor I would even put in a "sweetener" say, for moving up 10 spots (or something like that) in a year?

Someone watching Shooting USA who has never shot the sport (majority of viewers, I would guess) won't understand GM/M/A but they will understand "ranked 5th in the world".

For followers it could make it very interesting when Quarterly (semi annual, whatever) rankings come out and someone makes a BIG jump.

I think it could have the ability to make Level II matches much more competitive and desirable to attend. What I mean, is that it would make the top participators (note: participators not competitors) search out more level II matches and be willing to travel farther for them, for the chance to move up in the rankings. You might be willing to go a state or two away for a "plaque match" where before it really didn't mean as much?

It may even give more clubs an incentive to put on more Level II matches which might do a few things. I have no data to back it up but it also seems that whenever there is a Level II there are always a handful of people who join USPSA for the first time. Before, these "fence sitters" never got around to it, thus increasing overall membership. I think it betters the clubs officiating overall by having level II's.

I think it would make sponsors take note if someone was approaching them. "I am ranked 25th in the world". I know as a business owner myself, I would take note. As a sponsor I would even put in a "sweetener" say, for moving up 10 spots (or something like that) in a year?

Someone watching Shooting USA who has never shot the sport (majority of viewers, I would guess) won't understand GM/M/A but they will understand "ranked 5th in the world".

FWIW isn't this what nationals and the world shoots are all about?

FWIW isn't this what nationals and the world shoots are all about?

Sure but there your either National champion.....or not.

<sarcasm>

It'll be self funded. People who want to see themselves ranked pay their way in for every match they want ranked. For a few extra dollars, you can even have your rank upgraded. :-)

</sarcasm>

<sarcasm>

It'll be self funded. People who want to see themselves ranked pay their way in for every match they want ranked. For a few extra dollars, you can even have your rank upgraded. :-)

</sarcasm>

Actually I don't think that was far off was it? On the old point system didn't you donate 10 bucks or something?

Folks...it is just massaging the data that is already available, to a degree. Not unlike the emails we get from USPSA when match results are posted, or the extra data that we now see in those match results.

I don't see it costing much of anything. Might have to buy a can of keyboard oil every now and then. :rolleyes:

I agree. I would think a quarterly update would be good? Maybe even semi-annual? I kinda like the idea of making it something special when it comes out.

If done properly (not creating more work for major match staff)I think it is a good idea and would help to market the sport.

If someone at USPSA headquarters has time to develop and implement this algorithm, maybe thay could take a few minutes and update the web site. The "Latest USPSA Press Releases" section hasn't been updated in 16+ months. If they don't plan to keep that segment of the home page up to date, they should make it go away.

I'm not saying it isn't a good idea, but I think there are some more pressing issues that would better serve our membership.