Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock length help

1911vm

Started teaching a young man who wants to start doing 3 / multi gun. Never had this problem .  He is 6-8 my rifle with a full length ace stock looks like an entry stock for LE. His arm is so bent he does not have a proper grip. I need about 3 more inches   Any ideas?

I added a 1in its still almost 3in short his arms very long  I would say he needs something around 17in LOP maybe even 17.5

Edited by 1911vm

You might've missed the earlier post about the Vltor A5 receiver extension if you're not familiar with them, but they're longer than a normal carbine buffer tube, 7 positions instead of 6.  You need to use their buffer with it too that's longer than a normal carbine buffer.  The A5 tube plus whatever carbine stock offers the longest LOP (not sure on this one) might work.

On 6/4/2018 at 8:08 PM, Southpaw said:

You might've missed the earlier post about the Vltor A5 receiver extension if you're not familiar with them, but they're longer than a normal carbine buffer tube, 7 positions instead of 6.  You need to use their buffer with it too that's longer than a normal carbine buffer.  The A5 tube plus whatever carbine stock offers the longest LOP (not sure on this one) might work.

My vltor a5 with the long vltor emod stock has longer LOP than my rifle length stocks.  If you think that might work for you let me know and I can measure it.

On 6/7/2018 at 1:44 AM, 1911vm said:

Please let me know what the length is. Thank you very much. 

The VLTOR A5 buffer tube with the VLTOR EMOD stock is 12.25" from the back of the stock to the receiver with the stock fully extended.

On 6/7/2018 at 1:44 AM, 1911vm said:

Please let me know what the length is. Thank you very much. 

Forgot to add - the A5 buffer tube by itself without a stock is 7.5" from the back of the tube to the receiver.

By comparison, my magpul rifle length stock is about 10.5", so the VLTOR A5 with the EMOD gives me 1.75" more LOP than a rifle length stock.

I took some photos to upload but they are too big ... if I can resize them I'll upload for you so you can see the measurements.

19 hours ago, 1911vm said:

Actually  15.75 correct

Sorry about that...I  was  measuring buffer tube length instead of LOP.

I'M at 15" LOP with my trigger that is forward a little more than Millspec

4 hours ago, 1911vm said:

If he starts actually shooting.  I need to figure out how to get to 17.5 almost 18 LOP

Here's a detail of where my LOP is at with the A5 and EMOD stock and a Timney Calvin trigger pushed forward pretty far.  This is measured with the tape measure level. The stock has a taper and if I measure to the top of the butt pad it adds about ¼".

I don't know of any good options to add another 3" except maybe some custom/really thick butt pad.  The EMOD is the longest adjustable stock I know of.

Maybe one of the highly adjustable stocks can go longer - the odin works Zulu or the Tacmod stock.  If you could find a long buffer tube that's the same diameter used by either of those stocks you might be able to get to 18" and end up with a nice setup.  Since both of those stocks use a round buffer tube you could potentially even make a longer buffer tube and get the exact length you want and still end up with some adjustment.

IMG_7216.jpg

One other thought- which grip do you use? In your original post you said

On 6/4/2018 at 2:38 AM, 1911vm said:

. His arm is so bent he does not have a proper grip. 

The BCM grip with a step angle reduces the amount of bend needed in his wrist so that night help a little also.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2018 at 5:15 PM, emjbe said:

The BCM grip with a step angle reduces the amount of bend needed in his wrist so that night help a little also.

Agreed with this, doesn't have to be a BCM grip (though I like that grip) but get a more vertical grip vs the standard A2 Grip angle and it can make a big difference in making holding a rifle closer to you more comfortable.