Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Solution for slugs hitting high

I have a self-modified M2 that I love.  It has a stock front fiber bead and rib on a 24" barrel.  My only problem is that slugs are hitting ~1ft high at 50 yards.  I'm totally happy using "Kentucky windage" to just use a fraction of the front bead, but to get it hitting dead center the bead is too low (obstructed by the rib).  Then I'm just lost in space.

A while back I bought a bunch of "maximum velocity" slugs.  I'm happy to say the stockpile is nearing its end.

My two solutions are to get slower slugs and install a bigger front fiber.  My thought is with the taller front sight I can index higher up and bring the point-of-impact down some.

A rear sight would be nice, but I'd rather find a solution that doesn't involve installing a rear sight.  My groups are fine with the rail/bead, it's just the point-of-impact not coinciding with the point-of-aim.

If anyone has any ideas on how to solve this dilemma I'd really like to hear them.

Thanks in Advance,

Bob

PS:  I'm thinking 3-gun here.

Tmcfarland, I'm not sure what you mean by "tap" the barrel.  Do you create a hole so that you can screw in the front site of you choice?

Hi-Power Jack, that's not off the table.  I'm really having fun blasting clays and metal as quickly as possible with just the front bead, so I'm not too eager to change it.

By my math adding a .1" raised front bead should raise the poi at 50 yards by about 10".

I'll add that the windage is perfect, it's only the elevation that's causing me grief.

Haha, the EXTREME 6 o'clock hold is part of my current solution!

Right now it's barrel down to where the front sight is barely visible, then I still hold low after that.

If the rain holds off I'm going to experiment with tightening the magazine extension back up and changing the position of the clamp.  When in doubt try everything, I suppose...

If you are hitting tight groups that are high, shimming may help you bring it down. Is it just slugs or could your shot stand to come down some too? I had an issue shooting high with shot and fixed it by shimming. Gun came with them so it was just a little bit of time of looking at the pattern and swapping parts.

Thanks, everyone, for your sharing your thoughts.  I really appreciate it.  Kurt, your thread from '13 shed a lot of light on potential problems.

I figured out the problem and am posting my experience for future DIYers...

I remember reading the in '10 thread about leaving the mag tube loose to prevent a torque on the barrel.  When I put my DIY M2 back together last time (6 months ago)  I remember thinking that's gutsy since it's what holds the barrel on.

When I took my M2 apart it dawned on me that the nut holding the barrel is what I left loose, not the extension that's attached to the clamp.  That was the jack wagon move, I left the wrong part loose.

Anyhow, after putting it back together (full disclosure in the interest of posterity -  I moved the clamp closer to the stock end of the gun, too) with the barrel nut tight and the mag tube ~1/4 turn loose. All is right now.

I also installed a Tricomp front bead to remedy my sight picture.  

Anyhow, my slugs are shooting spot on.  There's nothing wrong with the shotgun other than its shade tree gunsmith owner. 

So, in short, my problem was that the barrel nut was left loose instead of the mag tube.  The barrel was probably not secure to the action.  I hadn't shot it enough since the last time it was disassembled to fully notice the problem.

Once again, thanks to everyone for offering your help.  I'm relatively new to this forum, and it really seems like a great crew. 

Now I just need to decide if I'm sold on the giant Tri comp versus the smaller fiber optic.........

A shotgun tinkerer's work is never done.......

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2018 at 3:31 AM, bluegrasspicker said:

A shotgun tinkerer's work is never done.......

Ain’t that the truth!

but, in my humble opinion, it’s half the fun and when you get it sorted it’s such a great achievement 

No it does not. That would require a re-design, and the Stoegers just don't hold the machining tolerences that Benelli does, so it would be only a ball park thing and not really worth the time to re-do it.

• 3 weeks later...