Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Critique my AR9 Build

So, I am putting together a build list and here is what I have so far.  Let me know what you think.  Part of the choices are due to a dealer relationship and I would like to get everything at one place

Upper Receiver           Gibbz Arms G9 9MM Side Charging Upper Receiver
Lower Receiver      Gibbz Arms G9 9MM Lower Receiver
Handguard Gibbz Arms Gen 2 15.0" Ultra Lite Hand Guard
Bolt  Gibbz Arms G9 9mm pistol caliber ar Bolt Right Hand
Barrel YHM 16.5" 9mm barrel non Chrom YHM-90-T
Compensator YHM YHM-85-MB-A Slant Brake/Comp 1/2-36 9mm
Lower Parts Kit DD LPK 556 BLK Daniel Defens lower receiver parts kit
Trigger ELF AR9/AR45 Match Trigger Straight 
Stock Battle Arms Sabertube and Bad LBS combo buffer tube/butt stock (providing it will work with a 9mm buffer )
buffer and spring Angstadt AA09BUFKIT Buffer and spring kit
Edited by Jeremyc_1999

Why do you say buy an mpx?  I have lots of glock mags, and although it wouldn't be the end of the world to have to buy mags for an MPX, I am not sure that it would be the route I'd want to go.  From what I hear, the triggers are consumable. 

"they" say aftermarket triggers are consumable for the mpx. i can accept that for how much i like shooting it versus the ar 9 guns I've had before.

it seems every gun in pcc needs some sort of finessing or futzing with in one way or another. but we're pushing them so that's not surprising.

so i say choose the platform that you most see yourself learning the small details about and want to enjoy working on bit of it from time to time.

I use shooting sports as a justification for buying guns that I have no need for and parts that make little difference in my overall performance.

I didn’t need to spend what I did on my MPX to race it out. But I was also maybe 1 of 2 people in my IDPA club that was sporting a custom built 2011 when everyone else had glocks or M&Ps.

If the diamond back is something you’ve been wanting, then go for it. 

Id say do a shooting innovations recoil reducer for your buffer

Or what I run.  Blitzkrieg hydro buffer.  JP 308 rifle length spring, delrin spacer and 25# wave spring

limiting bolt travel does wonders for cycle time and dot bounce

9 minutes ago, Thatsme said:

Id say do a shooting innovations recoil reducer for your buffer

Or what I run.  Blitzkrieg hydro buffer.  JP 308 rifle length spring, delrin spacer and 25# wave spring

limiting bolt travel does wonders for cycle time and dot bounce

Carbine or rifle length buffer tube? Makes all the difference. 

• 2 years later...
On 6/9/2018 at 9:42 AM, Jeremyc_1999 said:

I don’t have any pictures yet. The receiver is at my ffl and he is on vacation for the next two weeks. I went with the side charging handle because I had one on an ar15 and loved it. It was the pistol I never should have sold 

I know this is an old post, but how did your build turn out? Is it reliable?

Critique it? Ok. Sounds expensive.

I like the side charging though, both of mine are of that variety, NFA on ATI (NFA clone) Glock lower and Matrix Arms on a Spikes Colt mag lower. Yeah, I get that if the gun's running well, it's only used at LAMR & UASC, but it's still cool, and when there is an issue, you look cooler clearing your jam with a side charger than a tail charger. As cool as one can look clearing a jam anyway...

With that parts list, you're probably close to JP Rifles price territory, and those things seem to work out of the box. Something to consider.

• 4 weeks later...