Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.32 Magnum

GOF

There is a 9 or 10 shot 32 mag floating around out there somewhere. If the cartridge was a little shorter it would be a good round. But either the short colt, 9mm or 38 super and everything made for those and nothing made for the 32. It would be hard to justify. 

I've seen the two local shooters that run 32's do pretty well with them.  One them was using 30 carbine projectiles IIRC but I don't recall the ammo ever being an issue with either shooter.  One of our local match directors used to make sure that the stages either required reloads or was otherwise setup so that those 9 and 10 shot guns these guys had wouldn't be an advantage. 

Seems to me somebody was using a 32 seven-shot gun the year we had the IRC in Bakersfield, CA ('94 maybe).  I think the shooter had a very long barrel on that one to make minor.

I know "Slick Vic" used a nine-shot 32 for years (after he built the 8-shot Astra).

I just shot my 10-shot 32 at the SouthWest Regional in Mesquite, NV in April.

Doesn't take much to make minor with mine.  I've been loading 142 grain hand-cast bullets.  I wouldn't recommend trying it with an older gun...my cylinder is tool steel.

I do see Ruger chambers their small LCR in 327 Federal magnum (a longer case than H&R magnum, I think).  In that gun a 115 grain bullet is listed at 1300 fps, which makes 149.5 power factor, with a barrel a little over 3" long.  So, one could load it down and still make minor with no problem.

Why they don't make a 9-shot Redhawk in 327, I couldn't say.  Seems like it would be an ICORE special, compared to the 5-shot revo they claim is for competition.  :^)