Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Patridge vs ramped Dawson sights

jacksdad

Happy Sunday all-

Looking for direction on which profile to get for my Sig P225a1. Gun is used in idpa shoots. Tried with the stock night sights and I’m just not picking the front sight up quickly so I’m going to try a red fiber front.

Holster is a leather DeSantis Mini scabbard.

Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to Dawson, they would recommend ramped for a leather holster:

A ramped sight will have the face of the sight lay away from you. This ramp makes it easier to draw from a tight holster especially leather ones. Ramped sights can potentially be brighter since light is easily allowed to hit the face of the sight. Most combat style sights will feature a ramped style front.  A patridge sight will have the face of the sight sit exactly vertical or lean towards the user. This allows less light to hit the face of the sight naturally blacking it out making it more crisp and defined. These type of sights are especially favored in shooting games were accuracy is needed for longer distances. But they are not as popular for combat/duty/defense applications were tight holsters are the norm.

I've used both on a 226, and I didn't notice that much difference, although I probably like the patridge just a tiny bit more.  If you were shooting bullseye, you'd probably want the patridge.

Edited by JAFO

The problem with Patridge sights from a leather holster is that you will occasionally have to rip a glob of leather off of the front sight after the draw.

Ramps are more action pistol friendly... unless you are using a kydex holster with a generous sight channel.