Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Annual maintenance on a Lim Pro?

In one of my 9mm Lim Pro which is tuned nicely, I recently replaced the PD 13lbs hammer spring and the Wolf 9lbs recoil spring.  I also ordered 6 new mags to deal with widening feed lips and weaker springs in my old ones.  But that lead me to think what should be a good annual or semi-anual replacement plan.  Ive got all the other stuff in there like PD extended striker and spring, bolo and other springs.  Anybody have a tune-up program they use to replace springs and parts?

Why not just squeeze in the feed lips and replace the mag springs?

If you are replacing the recoil spring because it is weakening or lots of mileage, might want to change out the FP spring, sear, trigger and extractor springs too.

57 minutes ago, Trinimon said:

I got a good deal on the mags, made sense to just replace the whole thing instead of just the spring.

Mike,

I shoot a Stock 2.  Here is what I replace semi annually (15k or so live ammo and daily dry-fire):

1. Hammer spring

2. Recoil spring

3. Sear spring

4. Trigger return spring

5. Trigger bar plunger spring

6. Extractor spring (extra power)

Here is what I replace annually (30k or so live ammo and daily dry-fire):

1. Firing pin spring

2. Firing pin block spring

My gun just passed 2-year mark (gone through about 60k live ammo). I recently replaced the slide stop, and am thinking about replacing the extractor. 

99% of the above replacements are done as pure preventative maintenance rather than to fix specific problems.  Only the hammer spring actually gives me problems near the end of its life cycle, e.g. light strikes on DA.  When that starts to happen, I know it's time to replace the springs. 

I have not replaced either the mag body or mag springs.  I have 8 magazines dedicated to only matches, and 5 dedicated to practices.  The 5 practice magazines have been abused pretty badly but so far they have not given me any problems. 

Edited by Dazhi

5 hours ago, Trinimon said:

What happens to a piece of sheetmetal when you bend it back and forth a few times? It breaks off.

Considering the mag is only a few dollar more than a new spring, I’d just buy new mags.

47 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

What happens to a piece of sheetmetal when you bend it back and forth a few times? It breaks off.

Considering the mag is only a few dollar more than a new spring, I’d just buy new mags.

Makes sense. These mags are pretty pricey in Canada. I wish we could buy these mags for $25! Damn it!

19 hours ago, arkadi said:

At 60k I would be looking into replacing the sear, as a precaution.

Appreciate the tips.  Should I have both the housing and the sear replaced, or just the sear?  What kind of issues an aging sear can lead to?  I assume resetting issues?

caution on just replacing the sear with that many rounds..... the sear inst the only thing that has been wearing, the hammer hooks wear as well. Just ensure if you only replace one that you still have good engagement between the sear/hook interface as they tend to mate with each other overtime. You throw in just a new sear and you may be in for a surprise. 

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Ok I will bite, how much for the full auto set up? 

I saved the parts but its not for sale. :P

2-3 years with some dry fire. I was quite surprised, expected more service time.

Though, the full auto version was on a CZ Shadow, and it was unreliable. 3-10 rounds then it will hung up with hammer down, IIRC.

Only managed to get hammer follow out of a Stock III, no full auto.