Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which mags? (1911)

Steve-O

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/2/2018 at 8:36 AM, Silverscooby27 said:

I use wilson ETM with the Dawson basepads, but they don’t insert all the way with the no gap insert on the ICE magwell...so I use the gap magwell insert. Chip McCormick Mags with Dawson basepads didn’t fit either. Maybe it’s my gun, but thought I’d let you know. 

Depending on what generation of Dawson basepad you have, there's an interference that needs to be clearanced on the front ramp of the new updated Dawson 'no gap insert' so that the older style 'no gap basepads' will seat correctly. New style tapered Dawson 'no gap' basepads no longer seat against the front of the insert. 

On 6/6/2018 at 8:22 AM, belus said:

Did I miss this? What caliber are we talking about?

That seems like a key piece of information before we start throwing around advice.

For example, I've never had an issue with Wilson 47D/E in .45, but can't even get the 10rd 9mm ETMs to seat in my minor gun.  I can't recommend Wilson mags until I know the caliber.

Anyways my advice would be:
.45acp - Wilson 47DE trimmed to fit in the box
9mm - Metalform or Dawson (mine required a little adjustment of their integral feed ramp to drop free)
.40 - no experience

Trick to getting the 1st gen Wilson ETM 10 rd 9mm mags to seat in the gun is to cut exactly 2 coils off the top of the mag springs. The mag springs are manufactured too ong which causes then to be incredibly stiff when trying to load 10 rounds in them as well as causing the spring to not have enough room in the mag when full which is what causes binding when trying to load in the gun on a closed slide.

The other option is to swap the old 1st gen mags for the improved 2nd gen mag with integral feed ramp and improved spring and follower. theyll reload 10rds.

I use 1st gen ETM 9mm mags exclusively with my SSTK minor gun and prefer their function and performance (with the modified springs) over the 2nd gen mags...in my personal experience

22 hours ago, TimH said:

Trick to getting the 1st gen Wilson ETM 10 rd 9mm mags to seat in the gun is to cut exactly 2 coils off the top of the mag springs.

I use 1st gen ETM 9mm mags exclusively with my SSTK minor gun and prefer their function and performance (with the modified springs) over the 2nd gen mags...in my personal experience

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I’ve accumulated 14 of the Dawson/MF variety and am pretty happy with them, but wasn’t sure what to do with the ETMs. I couldn’t use them and didn’t want to pass on lemons.

• 1 month later...

I spent good money on a couple of Dawson magazines for my Rock Island G.I. Model 9 MM. I was somewhat disappointed in them. One works OK, but the other misfeeds at least once per magful. I was expecting better from such expensive magazines. The stock Rock Island magazine that was shipped with the gun feeds flawlessly. I should have stuck with them. They're a lot cheaper too. Live and learn.

jzQGeNj.jpg?2

47Ds have never locked the slide back on empty in my Springfield, rarely in my homebuilt, reliably in a couple Colts.

Fine in all other ways.

ETMs and CMC Powermags have been flawless in everything I've used them in.

I am fortunate as I've tried alot of brands ( borrowed from friends) and they all work.  If I had to pick one it would be Wilson,  and that's what I now use,  their fit, finish to me are the most consistent.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2018 at 12:24 PM, HI5-O said:

I use the ones from Brownells since they are inexpensive and work. 

Don’t know if the base pad will work with the Dawson mag well. 

I’ve actually had extremely good luck with  brownells magazines as well. As stated above, they just work and are inexpensive. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/1/2018 at 6:06 PM, AF2010 said:

I don't buy anything but Wilson's. Never had a problem.

Have always heard good things

about tripps or chip McCormick mags, but don't have the need to try them....yet.

I agree with Wilson.  They just work.

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, jpm2953 said:

I've always used Wilson ETM's. I find them used for  about 15-20 bucks all the time. I just bought 6 of them brand new in the pack for $100 last week from a local classifieds page. 

After my negative experience with Dawson magazines, I would buy only Wilson's if I was going to invest in high dollar 1911 magazines.

For 9mm, I've had zero issues with Metalform 10 round mags. Work well and are affordable.

For .40 S&W, Tripp. No other mag works as well and holds 9 rounds. I have some Check Mate, Metalform, Wilson Combat,  which work, but only hold 8 rounds. Tripp mags are king here. 

For .45, I use anything. My gun has had no issues with Shooting Star $7.00 mags, ACT,, Ed Brown, Metalform, Joes1911magmania.com mags or anything else I've used in it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Whatever works in your gun. Some guns are finicky. I use Chip McCormick power mags and factory Colt mags that came with my guns. 

I use metalform in my 9mm

wilson, Tripp are good choices too.  I have kimber tac-pros that work surprisingly well too

• 4 weeks later...