Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which mags? (1911)

Steve-O

Sorry this probably has been asked before but I just got my Colt Competition in that I will be using in Single Stack with a Dawson no gap Ice magwell. Iam about to order the Dawson no gap basepads but need to order mags as well. This is my first single stack gun so need some help from you guys. Thanks 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't buy anything but Wilson's. Never had a problem.

Have always heard good things

about tripps or chip McCormick mags, but don't have the need to try them....yet.

I've had great experience with Tripp and Wilson. Great product and great customer service. 

Aaron @ Tripp tuned my mags after 5 years of use for no charge and I bought a bunch of extra springs and followers. Couldn't be happier.

I have settled on Tripps cobra mags for my 1911.  I ordered one of tripps, chip mccormic, and wilson Mags.  I never had a problem with the tripps so I ordered more.  I didn't have any issues with the chip mccormic mags either, but I liked the Tripps better.  My gun doesn't like the wilson mags so I gave them to a friend. 

I use wilson ETM with the Dawson basepads, but they don’t insert all the way with the no gap insert on the ICE magwell...so I use the gap magwell insert. Chip McCormick Mags with Dawson basepads didn’t fit either. Maybe it’s my gun, but thought I’d let you know. 

I've got mags from everyone but ProMag.  I've even got a bunch of no-name mags from Springfield Armory from the Loaded coupons.  Every one of these mags works just fine with my standard loads.

My club gun is a Springfield Armory TRP with the half rail.  

8 hours ago, samhain said:

I know Metal form makes both but I believe the follower design is different.

the metalform .45 follower is TRASH.  I have mecgar mags that have been flawless for 8+ years, the stupid metalforms like to tip, and not lock back after like 8 months of use.  I wish they made Dawson baseplates for mecgar mags.  My next mags will be wilson or tripp.  There is no reason IMO to use anything but a tripp or wilson mags if you have a dawson magwell IMO.

Edited by DsWright

Did I miss this? What caliber are we talking about?

That seems like a key piece of information before we start throwing around advice.

For example, I've never had an issue with Wilson 47D/E in .45, but can't even get the 10rd 9mm ETMs to seat in my minor gun.  I can't recommend Wilson mags until I know the caliber.

Anyways my advice would be:
.45acp - Wilson 47DE trimmed to fit in the box
9mm - Metalform or Dawson (mine required a little adjustment of their integral feed ramp to drop free)
.40 - no experience

16 minutes ago, belus said:

Did I miss this? What caliber are we talking about?

That seems like a key piece of information before we start throwing around advice.

For example, I've never had an issue with Wilson 47D/E in .45, but can't even get the 10rd 9mm ETMs to seat in my minor gun.  I can't recommend Wilson mags until I know the caliber.

Anyways my advice would be:
.45acp - Wilson 47DE trimmed to fit in the box
9mm - Metalform or Dawson (mine required a little adjustment of their integral feed ramp to drop free)
.40 - no experience

Tripp mags are bulletproof in 45.  In 9mm I prefer the new Chip McCormick XP 10rders.  The Tripp 9mm mags are good too but if the top round isn't fully seated to the rear it can cause nose dive on slide lock reload.