Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Issue

Meli2127

I'm just wondering if the bullet is pushing into the lands when chambered (which could create the overpressure).  Has your buddy had his chamber reamed (throated) to allow for the longer loading?  It used to be very typical to ream longer throats to reduce pressure in major loads. 

Have you checked to make sure your bullets don't touch the lands when chambered?  Different shaped bullets require different OALs. 

4 hours ago, Meli2127 said:

It is a Winchester small pistol primer for standard loads.  I have been using them for the last 12 months.  But have never had these results before.

These recently purchased?  I've shot a ton of Win small pistol and small pistol magnum primers.  No problem until a small batch of spm's I bought recently.  Same load I've shot well over 50k times started piercing these new primers in particular brass.  Doesn't happen with any Winchesters I've used before, CCI's, S&B's, or Federals.  I'm convinced there are some fairly recent Win primers out with weak or thin cups.  Your issue is another clue.  

Thanks for the information on the primers.  I have some CCI small pistol primers and will load some and see what the results are.  I know that the CCIs are very hard and sometimes do not work all of the time.

It is a Winchester small pistol primer.  Not a magnum primer.  I was able to try some CCI small pistol primers and the results were better.  They obviously are a great deal harder.  I only did a total of 10 so the results were not conclusive enough to determine a decision.  I may try some more to qualify the results.