Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Issue

Meli2127

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for the question I have but I will give it a try.  I just switched over to a new powder from HS-6 to Power Pistol from Shooters World.  It seems as though the pressure that is being created is too great due to the flattening out of the the primer and an actual hole is being created in the center of the primer approximately .040 to .060 deep.   I have a friend that uses the same powder but doesn't get the same results.  He actually has the same lot number that I do on the powder.  I'm presently loading a RNJ 124 bullet at 1.165 length .  I'm trying to obtain major PF but no matter what load I use I still seem to receive the over pressurized results.  The loads have been starting at 9.2 all the way up to 10.2 and all the results have been the same.  If anybody has any experience with this Please let me know.Shooters World Major Pistol Smokeless Powder 1 Pound

That is not power pistol (allaint) it is major pistol never heard of it. I use power pistol it is a very fine powder. I did make major in my open 9mm glock with auto comp powder. Just saying. Be careful 

If you have the same container as in the picture you have Major Pistol.

Major Pistol is a relatively inexpensive powder imported from the Czech Republic where it is known as Lovex Powder. Here it is sold under the name Shooter's World.

Looking at their load data it would appear that Major Pistol is a wee bit slower than Alliant Power Pistol.

Their load data charts are available on the internet but only go up to 124 grain projectiles. As always, start with low charges and work up. A chronograph is almost a necessity. ?

I was wrong on my typing the picture is exactly what I am using Major Pistol.  I have several Tanfoglio pistols and three are setup for open competition.  So I was trying to obtain some feed back on this Major Pistol Powder.  

Thanks

I have chronoed the rounds at 9.4, 9.6, 9.8, and 10.1 the only one that is even close to 165 PF is the 10.1 but it came out at 169.0 PF.  Here is a photo of the primer that comes out of all the loads.  Iv,e stopped testing this powder until I find out whats going on.  

Thanks For Your Feedback

IMG_3776 (2).JPG

3 hours ago, Meli2127 said:

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for the question I have but I will give it a try.  I just switched over to a new powder from HS-6 to Power Pistol from Shooters World.  It seems as though the pressure that is being created is too great due to the flattening out of the the primer and an actual hole is being created in the center of the primer approximately .040 to .060 deep.   I have a friend that uses the same powder but doesn't get the same results.  He actually has the same lot number that I do on the powder.  I'm presently loading a RNJ 124 bullet at 1.165 length .  I'm trying to obtain major PF but no matter what load I use I still seem to receive the over pressurized results.  The loads have been starting at 9.2 all the way up to 10.2 and all the results have been the same.  If anybody has any experience with this Please let me know.

From the burn rate table, it looks like it should be OK.  If you are loading a similar weight as your friend, the first thing I would do is make sure my scale is still correct...

From the burn rate table, it looks like it should be OK.  If you are loading a similar weight as your friend, the first thing I would do is make sure my scale is still correct...
Picture shows all the pressure signs there are... Doesn't look like a good candidate to me.

I wouldn't go further with that combination.

According to all the burn rate data this should work.  I noticed an improvement going from HS-6 to the Major Pistol.  I loaded some HS-6 at 7.9 and there is still a greater amount of muzzle flip and recoil than the Major Pistol.  I have stopped using the Major Pistol powder and gone back to the HS-6.  I appreciate the feed back and look forward to hearing if anyone has had any of the same experience with this powder.  Or if anyone has any suggestions.

There's a name for people who rely too strongly on a burn rate chart.  Stumpy.

Burn rate charts are ONLY GOOD if you know the conditions under which they were generated.  Also not all charts agree.

Just because one powder is next to the other in a burn rate chart doesn't mean you can load them close to the same.  For all you know that could be a geometric jump in burn rate.

I just switched over to a new powder from HS-6 to Major Pistol from Shooters World.  It seems as though the pressure that is being created is too great due to the flattening out of the the primer and an actual hole is being created in the center of the primer approximately .040 deep.   I have a friend that uses the same powder but doesn't get the same results.  He actually has the same lot number that I do on the powder and he is loading for a CZ Czechmate and is obtaining approximately 175 PF. with the same specifications.   I'm presently loading a RNJ 124 bullet at 1.165 length .  I'm trying to obtain major PF but no matter what load I use I still seem to receive the over pressurized results.  The loads have been starting at 9.4 all the way up to 10.1 and all the results have been the same.  If anybody any experience with this powder please post.

.Shooters World Major Pistol Smokeless Powder 1 Pound

50 minutes ago, Meli2127 said:

is obtaining approximately 175 PF. with the same specifications.   I'm presently loading a RNJ 124 bullet at 1.165 length . 

You said same specs, then cited only your bullet.  Is he using the same bullet at the same OAL?  Do you also use a Czechmate?  

Change your powder.  Those pressure signs are no good and your load evidently is not going to work for you.  Some variance from batch to batch is expected, although you state they are the same batch,  but going from no pressure signs to lots of pressure would keep me away from that powder. 

15 hours ago, Meli2127 said:

I just switched over to a new powder from HS-6 to Major Pistol from Shooters World.  It seems as though the pressure that is being created is too great due to the flattening out of the the primer and an actual hole is being created in the center of the primer approximately .040 deep.   I have a friend that uses the same powder but doesn't get the same results.  He actually has the same lot number that I do on the powder and he is loading for a CZ Czechmate and is obtaining approximately 175 PF. with the same specifications.   I'm presently loading a RNJ 124 bullet at 1.165 length .  I'm trying to obtain major PF but no matter what load I use I still seem to receive the over pressurized results.  The loads have been starting at 9.4 all the way up to 10.1 and all the results have been the same.  If anybody any experience with this powder please post.

.Shooters World Major Pistol Smokeless Powder 1 Pound

Dude,  message a moderator and have them merge your 2 threads. No need to cross post as most folks use "unread content" to see what's new...

ETA: Merged (obviously)...

Edited by ChuckS

Major Pistol from shooters world is the same basic powder as Accurate #7 which is a fine powder for major 9 loads. I've loaded AA#7 very hot before and have never had primers looking anywhere near as bad as those. Something is way wrong there. As someone said earlier maybe double check your powder scale. 

On 6/1/2018 at 3:50 PM, Meli2127 said:

I have chronoed the rounds at 9.4, 9.6, 9.8, and 10.1 the only one that is even close to 165 PF is the 10.1 but it came out at 169.0 PF.  Here is a photo of the primer that comes out of all the loads.  Iv,e stopped testing this powder until I find out whats going on.  

Thanks For Your Feedback

IMG_3776 (2).JPG

Any chance this is a Winchester small pistol magnum primer?