Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

After driving 500 miles

BARRYJ

I was in Texas for a graduation last week and found a local club that had a match.  On the classifier, after load and make ready, I thought I holstered and when I released the grip, the gun fell to the ground.  Thought it was in the holster, but obviously it wasn't.  In ten years of shooting, this is my second DQ.  The other one was for the same thing.  I was required to move from the start box to a shooting box, and my gun fell out on the way.  

At least you got to attend the graduation   :)

Part of my prep steps is to hold onto the gun until I can feel that

the gun is securely in the holster, and will NOT fall out when I

release the gun.

Not to say I might drop it one day, but at least part of my procedure

is to NOT drop it   … 

5 hours ago, BARRYJ said:

I was required to move from the start box to a shooting box, and my gun fell out on the way.  

i normally draw while starting to move, but in either case, my hand is definitely on the gun before or as i start moving, so that it doesn't pop out unexpectedly.

and when holstering, i look the gun into the holster, and especially with my open holster, i look and double look and wiggle it to ensure it is indeed in place.

and at least in your situation, while you drove a long way, it wasn't primarily for the match but for another occasion.  still sucks though...

• 2 weeks later...

That's a bit of a bummer, Barry.  Well, some lessons learnt that you can take away from this... Watch your gun return to the holster instead of relying on muscle memory. Give the pistol a gentle up and down shake to ensure that it is secured before releasing your grip. Least the trip wasn't all for nothing. :)

Edited by Trinimon

• 1 month later...

This is why I moved away from a race holsters to kydex hopsters.  Plus my sponsor only makes kydex.  They do make some cool Open Class kydex for those that want the extra peace of mind.

Check out Windfall Defense Custom Kydex.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Jakobi said:

I will never understand not looking at my holster while putting a gun in it. As an RO I see people do this all the time and it never makes any sense to me.

It's a mark of pride for me that I know where my holster is, and put my gun in it without looking at it. That goes for race/match setups as well as concealed carry rigs. 

AND, I take pride in knowing what a fully seated gun feels like in any of them. If I don't get that feel, I don't turn loose of the gun.

For my race holster I watch the barrel go onto the nub.  After that I just feel if it is right in terms of locking in place.  For OWB (SS and Production) it is muscle memory in terms of location and I know what it feels like on a subconscious level when it enters the holster and when the tab snaps over the trigger guard or the trigger guard seats against the leather (CCW).

As to movement from a start position to a shooting position I either immediately draw as I start to move. or I hold my hand down on the grip until I get into a position to draw it.  Again this is at a subconscious level.

We have had two different guys at our local club DQ in the last month because they did not get their gun properly latched into their race holsters.  As soon as the buzzer went off, they turned and the gun hit the ground.  Happened at two different matches but both of them happened in the same bay, the same way.  Always confirm that the gun is latched into place.  

This is one of the reasons I went to a bucket style holster from a race holster. I bought the Stoeger for my SV and feel so much better. I was always paranoid that it was going to fall when I took my first step towards a target while drawing. Yes it might wear on the finish, but who cares, it’s a gun not a picture. Plus it didn’t slow down my draw. Just my experience. Hope it helps someone